Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black & White Wide-screen TV Stand...

Black & White Wide-screen TV Stand...

A departure from my normal A & C work. Simply just a TV stand for a wide screen designed to hold two black boxes.. two speakers and a 50" flat screen TV. Nothing more.. nothing less. Five weeks work with proto-type.. finish and cure times. Maple and ebonized poplar. All joinery.. no metal with the exception of four 5" long 3/8" steel rods inserted into 3/8" holes drilled diagonally in the rear of the bottom front and rear stretcher mortise hole extending to the toe of the outside foot of the legs. A quick glance at the grain orientation on the one piece legs explains the "why".

Poplar is ebonized with Speedball Super Black India Ink with three coats of wiped oil poly after being sealed with wax free shellac. Maple finish is brushed water base poly as I don't have a sprayer. Spent several hours playing with the light on the piece trying to bring out the radiant curl in the maple but with no major success. It's definitely there on my $1.95 a bd. foot curly maple (gloat) but you won't see it unless you visit. I have no clues with photo lighting which is rather obvious.

Thanks for looking... critique if you wish!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

John,

I like it! That's a radical flair on the legs which really makes the piece looked hunkered down, like it's saying "I'm not going anywhere!"

-Mike

John, that's very nice! Clean and simple, with plenty of visual interest due to the graceful curves. I love the contrast between the maple and the ebonized poplar. Seems like the materials costs were pretty reasonable too

Regards,
    Steve

Thanks Mike and Stephen.. The cost on this piece was under $100 with finish and ink Stephen. That's the cheapest piece material wise I have made in probably 10 years. Great deal running on curly at my local supplier. The problem is I don't use maple often.

Again.. thanks guys!
    Sarge..

Quite a change from the QSWO look Sarge...
    But in saying that I like the style of this one. And $1.95 a bf. for curly maple. That's like stealing up here. Good for you, I hope you got a ton of it.
    The ebonized poplar and maple work very well together.
    Nice work on this piece. Thanks for the look see Sarge.

Quote Originally Posted by gary Zimmel View Post
    Quite a change from the QSWO look Sarge...
    But in saying that I like the style of this one. And $1.95 a bf. for curly maple. That's like stealing up here. Good for you, I hope you got a ton of it.
    The ebonized poplar and maple work very well together.
    Nice work on this piece. Thanks for the look see Sarge.
    Thanks Gary.. the $1.95 is pretty much a running deal at my supplier. They cull out the bin and put the curly in the economy shed. I just dig through every time I am up which is often looking for an exceptional piece to hoard. It's so cheap I often use it for drawer sides.

I really like this piece also Gary.. First time ebonizing that kind of volume and I learned a ton about doing it by simply experimenting on scrap for days before I fired the actual shot.

Regards...
    Sarge..

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the design and the poplar!

Blog Entries
    Ahh, I like it, I like it. Great look and the contrast really makes it stand out but the black will make it disappear when folks are viewing. Very cool.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Nicely done. Makes me re-think the unit I was going to make to the den.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Thanks Van and Glenn.. the piece looks really good in place with the TV and hardware loaded. Our female neighbors keep asking when we are going on vacation for whatever reason? That's a compliment from them as several are "picky-picky" IMO if you know what I mean. haha
    Sarge..

Thanks Mitchell... take the idea and let your imagination run wild if you wish. Something about one of a kind that makes me smile.
    Sarge..

Very Nice Work Sarge. The lines and colors are awesome. Its seems to be perfect for a flat screen TV stand, standing out on its own when the TV is off, but leaving the attention to the TV when on. Wonderful!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Awesome, I really need to do something using ebonized wood. I love the style, design and the contrasting wood. Simply beautiful, elegant yet sturdy, it seems to have it all.

Thanks for the kind words Brent and Rob.. I may do another modern piece in the near future as I did enjoy designing this one. Time will tell as I have to pop out a few Xmas gifts from the shop soon.
    Sarge..

Blog Entries
    I love it!!!! Do you have plans for it?
    Have a Nice Day!