Thread: So, what's the secret?

So, what's the secret?

About 3 yrs ago I changed the belt on my HF 34706 lathe. I remember that it was not the easist thing I've ever done. The Reeves drive made it a bit more difficult. Now that I have my motor running again, I tried to reinstall the belt today. I opened the front pulley wide open by moving the control handle to the highest speed. The back pulley on the motor is closed. Using the same belt I removed three days ago, I can not get the belt on the back pulley. I've tried all the tricks I know, using a screwdriver, working it onto the pulley a bit at the time, etc. What am I missing here?

I'm not sure if it's the same procedure as the Jet 1236

You might want to use Google to search for:

replacing the jet 1236 drive belt
    There's a page with clear instructions that comes up near the top of the results list.

Ah, it's challenging not being allowed to post a link <vbg>
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Well, I learned the secret. I knew I had replaced the belt a couple of years ago and could do it again. The secret is to turn the pulleys backwards when attempting to use a screwdriver to guide it on. It is much easier to leverage a screwdriver from the top of the pulley rather than the bottom. Turning backwards allows the leverage to come from the top.