Thread: Oh Looky...Goodies!

Oh Looky...Goodies!

A while back, I sent a couple pieces of cherry to David Keller. In that box was a piece of heavily figured cherry. I cut that piece out of a log that I got at a local sawmill. I also cut a piece for me...same size.....and offered the good Dr. Keller a challenge that we both make something out of these twin cherries...and just see what happens.

Well...David felt that he needed to "up" the challenge so he said he was going to send "a little something to add to the challenge". I figured I'd get a stick of ebony in an envelope.

Nope....The mail lady (no...not male-lady) The Mail Lady brought a box to the house this afternoon.
    In it? Well, let's see

Texas Ebony
    African Blackwood
    Red Mallee Burl
    African Olive
    Spalted Hackberry
    Lychee Burl
    Redwood Burl
    Asian Ebony
    Cocus Wood
    Ceylon Satinwood
    Macassar Ebony
    Lignum Vitae

You know...Just "alittle sumpthin"
    DSC_0004.JPG

Thank you David. I'll try to attach all these pieces of wood to that cherry piece...but I don't know. It might look kinda stupid.

What a nice surprise. You made my day. Thank you.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

WOW! Big congrats on all the exotic woods John! Sure gives you some options!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Hart, that junky looking little burl on the bottom, and what appears to be a terrible piece of redwood burl (the round) are just not up to your standards. Those would look much better in my wood stack!!

Great haul, there. Seems to me, you and Keller are just going to end up swapping wood inventory!

Glad you got the package. Not only do I expect each piece to be attached to the cherry burl, but I'd like them attached in geographic order around the piece based on the country of origin for the particular species of wood. Alphabetical order based on the latin name of each would be my second choice.

Mostly, I wanted you to have some options for finials/collars if you were interested in a finial or collar for the cherry turn-off(that doesn't read right). The lychee(not burl but still pretty), spalted hackberry, and elm (with a touch of burl) were just to keep the finial blanks from rattling around in the box.

I'm still smiling about the cherry bomb!

BTW, your gonna love that hackberry when it's finished. I've never seen anything spalted like that.

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Glad you got the package. Not only do I expect each piece to be attached to the cherry burl, but I'd like them attached in geographic order around the piece based on the country of origin for the particular species of wood. Alphabetical order based on the latin name of each would be my second choice.
    Ok...That's what I figured. I've already started. I cut them all up into little pieces. Now I just have to glue them to something. Hmmm...I have some glue around here somewhere....don't worry...I'll get it.

BTW, your gonna love that hackberry when it's finished. I've never seen anything spalted like that.
    Oh...I know!!! I've never seen spalting like that on anything!! That is going to be a delight.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Totem pole... Totem pole!!!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post

Well at least your not demanding.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green