Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engraving lighters illegal?

Engraving lighters illegal?

I get asked to print on lighters from time to time, so I asked Zippo whether they offered sublimation blanks. This is the response that I received directly from one of their district managers....
    You asked, "does Zippo make a sublimation ready lighter so that small shops can print custom designs?" Unfortunately, the answer is "no." Zippo does not want any customization done outside of the factory in Pennsylvania. We do have a very extensive customizing department at the factory but we insist on all work being done at the factory so all customization passes factory quality control standards. To do customizing on Zippo products after they leave the factory is illegal.
    I asked for further clarification specifically with regards to engraving, to which his response was....
    "Local engraving of personalization (names, ititials, etc) is fine but after-market (non-factory) engraving or imprinting of designs and artwork is illegal."
    In an effort to gain further understanding, I've provided him with a real world scenario where a groom wishes to provide his groomsmen with 10 lighters that are embellished with his family's coat of arms. Would having my local laser engraver mark them be illegal? Still awaiting their response.

I've also asked him to provide the legalese around their policy, and to specify which laws would be broken. If received, I will share it.

Just passing along some interesting information.

K

Blog Entries
    <chuckle> Sounds like an overzealous legal department. No, it's not illegal... once you purchased them, you can etch them in any manner you want. Apple, for example, says the warranty "may" be void, and they flat out tell you if an etched product comes in they won't return the same on... but it's not illegal.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

They just don't want the competition, as long as you don't apply a copyrighted image there's no way they can enforce that. If it were truly illegal they would have cited the applicable law. The most they can do is to invalidate any warranty on their product if engraved by someone else.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hmmmmm I wonder if telling one that something is illegal when it isn't, just to try to intimidate them, as a veiled threat, is illegal in itself.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Hmmmmm I wonder if telling one that something is illegal when it isn't, just to try to intimidate them, as a veiled threat, is illegal in itself.
    Almost certainly...but good luck doing anything effective about it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I question the entire statement you received from the person at Zippo. They have a number of engraver/distributors and distributors who sell to the engraving industry.

Engraving Zippos goes back to pre-WW2.

They do customize for clubs and organizations but that's not the same as personalizing.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I figured as much...

I figured as much. I was really surprised by their response. I mean, they are such a highly respected U.S. company. Their response reminded me of that thread where someone from another overzealous company said it was illegal to experiment with homebrew marking compounds. Yeah, right.

It's sort of like Hanes saying you can only monagram their t-shirts, not screenprint them, because it would compete with them. Or, as if Harley Davidson said only they could customize one of their bikes. Ridiculous.

K

We have engraved Zippos for over 20 years now. Now they probably aren't going to track me down all the way out here, but I have never had an issue. I have sent some back for warranty work and they will often replace, rather than repair and I have had to re-engrave for some customers. Never once have they ever indicated I was being "illegal". What a crock.

I am sure they just don't want you producing quantities of a design on their product and selling it.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75W
    Newing Hall Apex 300 & 400 w/power bases
    I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

Personalization vs. Customization

I understand the difference. Zippo is saying that personalization is OK. But, that customization is not.

So, what about when a club or organization asks an engraver for 100 lighters marked with the club's logo (copyright approved). And, they have the intent to sell them as a fundraiser. Is it OK to take the job? Zippo is saying no.

K

Blog Entries
    Zippo can not specify how, when why, or how you engrave and sell their lighters. The only no-no is modifying it and selling it as a Zippo... they don't want people to get hurt and incorrectly blame Zippo.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

They must be after every engraver who has ever lived! What a crock.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Weighing in....

I've asked the contact at Zippo to join the Creek and weigh in directly on this thread.

K

Ooh Oh! I hope nobody gets a spanking! Well over 400 million Zippo lighters produced. I would think the company would be honored engravers and craftsman would want to embellish a Zippo which seems to be the de facto lighter of preference in the known universe. I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into some kind on Zippogate.
    Last edited by Greg Bednar; 08-09-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: emphasis
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Well , let me tell you , strictly speaking the using homebrew compounds like plaster of paris is in breach of the patent that cermarl/thermark hold and that is using any compound and a laser to mark a metal/glass/whatever object. Check the scope of the patent.
    You can sublimate ANYTHING btw - all you have to do is apply a polyester coating or any other coating that accepts the inks - we used to do it here but it became a schlep.
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Madan View Post
    I am sure they just don't want you producing quantities of a design on their product and selling it.
    That's what I think too. It's a big difference if you offer ready engraved lighters (which you can't) or customize them for your customers - I'm not a lawyer, just MHO.

Other than that, if companies act like this, I go by my Grandma's saying "other mothers have pretty sons too"

Andrea

Who wants to hear the bells must pull the rope
    Wer die Glocken hören will muss am Seil ziehen