Thread: oooh it's so good... shop time

Blog Entries

oooh it's so good... shop time

I actually got some decent time in the shop today. Did a few pendants and was able to rough out this Cherry Burl. If I do it right, I think this just might be my best 'bowl' ever. Currently soaking in the DNA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Nice Day!

WOW! That's a gorgeous piece of wood!

I noticed some lines along the rim in the last photo... Those aren't cracks are they? If so, I'd consider trimming off enough of the height of the bowl to get rid of them.

I can't wait to see that finished!

3. That is a really pretty piece of wood! I agree with David, turn off the cracks before it is too late!

Wow! Gorgeous!! Good luck.

BTW, I have NOT had good luck with cherry in DNA - you may want to take extra precautions when you take it out. Then again, maybe because it's burl it won't crack so bad.

Beautiful wood Jon. Great to see ya back turning.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on the shop time Jon! Beautiful bowl! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Now we have to wait months and months to see that beauty all finished up. Heck of a nice rough-out, that is for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Wingert View Post
    Now we have to wait months and months to see that beauty all finished up. Heck of a nice rough-out, that is for sure.
    Aaron, I was just so excited to actually be in the shop. I needed to share! I do have a HF that has been bagged from the same burl that might get to come out and play in a few weeks.
    Have a Nice Day!

Jon, no doubt that is one gorgeous piece of wood!! It does look like it may have a tendency to crack on the rim, so good luck with it. Hope it survives as it would make a great finished bowl.

Congratulations on the Shop Time Jon. I know how you feel.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Jon,
    I can't wait to see this bowl finished. That has wonderful burl in it and it will be a great piece, I am sure. it is good to get some real shop time in. I have been struggling to do the same thing and hope to increase my time in the shop as well. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.