Thread: Definition of Murphy's Law

Wink Definition of Murphy's Law

If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong
    (Sometimes known as the 4th law of Thermodynamics).

I have traced Murphy's law back to a Captain Edward A. Murphy, an American engineer at Muroc, California (later named Edwards Air Force Base). In 1949 he was working on a project to test the effects of sudden braking. Time after time his machinery failed, exasperated he said of his technician, 'If there is any way to do it wrong, he'll find it.' John Paul Stapp picked up on Murphy's phrase and used at a press conference.
    As with any good idea, Murphy's Law can be adapted and extended.

1st Amendment
    If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong.

2nd Amendment
    If you realize that there are three possible ways in which something can go wrong, and cover them all, then a fourth, unprepared for way, will miraculously appear out of thin air.

3rd Amendment
    When something breaks, the parts damaged are in direct proportion to their value.

4th Amendment
    The failure does not appear until the machinery has passed its final inspection.

5th Amendment
    When you drop a part, it always rolls into the darkest corner.

Last Amendment to Murphy's law
    Any attempt to print out this copy of Murphy's law will crash the computer.

I tend to gravitate towards Amendment #4. We've had some goods times old Murphy and me.

Redheads are like other women – only more so

Can't forget, that failure/ breakage doesn't occur until the warranty is up

Coloccia's Corollary to Murphy's law:

Everything goes wrong.

O'Toole's corollary: Murphy was an optimist.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

The Logana Principle:

If it looks safe, it's not. If it looks unsafe...then chances are its perfectly sound....

Kids always manage to get a penny up their nose...but how often do we hear of them sticking a shellix knife up there...lol....
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 08-11-2010 at 1:34 AM.

No matter what test, of what project your working on, it will ALWAYS be delayed by the need to void the bladder
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Baker's variation of Murphy's law:
    For any object held together with N+1 fasteners, you will be able to remove N fasteners when trying to take it apart.

Corollary:
    When you drop those N fasteners on the floor, you will be able to locate N-1 of them.

James

The smallest hole will empty the largest container. Unless the hole is there specifically for drainage, in which case, it will clog.

It ain't complicated, y'all are way overthinking this. Murphy's Law is simple and unmistakable: If something will go wrong, it can go wrong. Nuff said.

Murphy's law

Jennings corollary:
    The probability of the toast landing on the carpet with the buttered side down, is directly proportional the the cost of the carpet. JIM L

There's a medical amendment too:
    Any order that can be misunderstood, will be misunderstood.

All I know about Murphy's Law is this . . . go to IWF, have a great time, get food poisoning and catch a cold. Yep, that's just my luck. I didn't get food poisoning from any of the food at the GWCC, but at an outside restaurant. For some bizarre reason every single time I take a trip - particularly if I fly - I come home sick.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra