Thread: Chisel choices

Chisel choices

2. No bowl gouges?

Mark,

I would get a set that included a bowl gouge, not just the spindle gouges like these sets have. Buy from Pen State Industries directly. Our wood turning club has bought several sets for the lathes we teach on, and they have been a good value and quality for the price.

Lee Valley

Lee Valley also has a good starter set of tools.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...=1,330&p=56745

Neither.

Seriously. I bought a set like the first one from Harbor Freight and I found at first that I used the round nosed scraper and the 3/4" spindle gouge and that was about it. As time progressed I used the 2 skews that come with it (the 1/2" and the larger 1".) Now that I have gotten farther into turning, especially bowls and finials, I find that I reach for my Benjamin's Best bowl gouge 95% of the time and some thicker skews with greater heft.

I didn't get it when I first asked a few years ago and people here told me not to get a set. But now I totally do. I would get some better tools and get just the right ones and not bother with a set that will have less usefullness over all.

My current preferences are a big BB 1 1/4" scraper, my 1/2" bowl gouge, and my 2 skews. I occasionally use my spindle gouge but I find myself far more often reaching for my skew chisels.

Good luck!
    Joshua

For general turning, you would need a spindle roughing gouge, a spindle gouge, a skew, a parting tool, a round nose scraper, and a bowl gouge. These will cover just about any turning situation you will encounter. The size of the tools can vary, depending on how big or small you are turning. The 3 spindle gouges in the Lee Valley set seems excessive, but I turn mostly bowls. A smaller scraper if you want to do boxes, and as you progress, a host of other specialty tools.

robo hippy

Neither! I would call Thompson Lathe Tools and ask Doug to fix me up with a set of tools (and handles if you don't want to turn your own). That's presuming you have sharpening gear and know how. Then you will be set for a long, long time.

No affiliation to Doug or his tools, just a happy customer.

I agree with Reed on this one. What I would say is get the scrapers, skews, parting tools, and roughing gouge, from PSI. but I would buy a 1/2V bowl gouge from Thompson Lathe Tools as well as one of his 3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouges or both. This will get you buy for a very long time and should handle almost anything you want to do.

Alan

Thompson Tools

If you are for sure going to keep turning go all the way with Dougs tools.
    I have a bunch and love all of them.
    Peter

Check Harbor Frieght, and look at the cheapo turning set. IMO that is a CHEAP and reasonably good starter set. You can grind them down and re-shape the ones you don't use. Try the different tools find what you like to use. Sharpen them witout worrying about grinding down expensive steel. I still use a number of the set I got. Also get a 1/2" bowl gouge from Doug. That will get you a cheap set of tools and one of the best bowl gouges out there. When you decide what style of turning, then I would invest in a high quality tool from Doug. Or a quality tool from other high end tool makers.

I have a number of PSI tools. They are pretty good for the price.