Thread: Baseball bat finish?

Baseball bat finish?

I'm turning a maple and an ash baseball bat. I've played baseball for 24 years and I have no clue what kind of finish they put on the bats. Anybody have a clue?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

I have finished mine with waterlox lacquer, but mine are just novelty items.

These will actually be used. Our league is going to wooden bats next year and I've been asked to make a bunch. I'm guessing a laquer of some sort but I've never used laquer. I know the finish must be hard as it will take a beating.

Louisville

I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Louisville slugger factory and although they did not say the exact finish they were using, they were dipping them and it smelled like a waterborne poly to me
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

I found a few good discussions on this topic:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22479

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas..._Finishes.html

One guy recommends shellac, others use gloss poly. Another recommend the inexpensive RIT dye at your local grocery store if you want a colored finish.

Also found some interesting info on ash vs. maple (but not the finish) at http://www.slugger.com/technology/wood.html.

Good luck with the finish and let us know what you decide to use. I don't own a lathe and have never turned anything but always thought it would be fun to make some bats for my young boys.
    Last edited by Shawn Christ; 08-11-2010 at 10:34 PM. Reason: correction

That may be the case but it wasn't your every day over the counter water-borne.

I'd opt for an oil-based finish, more durable than water-borne OTC finishes..
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Would you want any type of hard film finish? I think anything would eventually crack/break off.

How about something like a hot wax?

Aren't there some liability issues involved with making bats for use by others?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schoene View Post
    Aren't there some liability issues involved with making bats for use by others?
    Baseball is not a liability sport. Play and use equipment at your own risk.

I use a bat myself that has no finish on it at all. It's birch and just sanded down. But I wanted to darken these up a little with something. But like Craig said I don't want anything that will break or chip off also. Looks like time for experimentation

I would definitely use poly. Lacquer works well and was used for years but it seems today's bats have a thinner and less durable finish than the old bats.

Bats get wet so they need to have a finish.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for the ideas guys. I am going to try shellac and poly and see how it does. Really doesn't matter as long as it looks good. We only play once a week so a bat will not get a ton of use over a season. I am also going to try the RIT dye to see how that turns out for team colors.