Thread: Band saw blade lube

Band saw blade lube

Is there anything out there that can be used to lube or protect the bandsaw blade? Not for rust protection, but to reduce the amount of pitch that builds up in use. I have a Resaw King blade that loves to collect pitch, especially when resawing Cherry. And this stuff is a bear to clean off. Thanks in advance.

Hi Mike
    The best lube that I have found to keep all of my bandsaw blades clean and slick is PAM original cooking spray. Just a little squirt while the blade is running and you immediately hear the blade and bearings quiet down and cut much smoother. Cheap too. I also use it on my planer bed,jointer bed, scrollsaw table and router tables.
    Last edited by Mike Mathieu; 08-12-2010 at 10:10 AM.
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

To add to what Mr. Intarsia said, I also use PAM for lubing drill bit when cutting plastics and aluminum. Brass likes to be dry, BTW.

I've got some stuff from Rockler but I don't recomend it. I went on vacation for two weeks and found my table saw Forrest WWII all rusted when I got back. I think because I was using the Rockler stuff just before I left.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mathieu View Post
    Hi Mike
    The best lube that I have found to keep all of my bandsaw blades clean and slick is PAM original cooking spray. Just a little squirt while the blade is running and you immediately hear the blade and bearings quiet down and cut much smoother. Cheap too. I also use it on my planer bed,jointer bed, scrollsaw table and router tables.
    And when resawing freshly baked brownies in the shop, PAM keeps things clean, yet adds no extra calories, so you can continue looking trim and fit in your shop apron! :-)

Seriously, that stuff smells like butter. I use it, but in the kitchen! Does it get kind of rancid or gummy in any way on your tools? That would be my concern. For the price of two cans of PAM, there are dedicated lube sticks out there. http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/p...products_id/64

Dan--Notice I said Original PAM,not the butter flavored.The original has no smell and does not turn rancid. On all of my tool table tops I spray on and wipe off.Been using it for years
    Mike
    midlothianwoodworks
    ---------------------
    Why buy it if you can build it

I've run a piece of wax against the sides of the blade while it was running. That seems to work pretty well to quiet the blade and eliminate some build-up.

I have found that running a putty knife against the sides of the blade behind the gullett while the saw is running makes quick work removing any build-up.

I'll use the wire side of a file brush to clean the blades. PAM works great.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Karachio View Post
    And when resawing freshly baked brownies in the shop, PAM keeps things clean, yet adds no extra calories, so you can continue looking trim and fit in your shop apron! :-)

Thanks a lot, Dan

I just spit up/dribbled hot Matcha tea all down my white shirt!
    That is one GREAT visual you left me with... "resawing brownies", come on.

Redheads are like other women – only more so

PAM is an oil...any issues getting that on your wood?

I just coil up my blades into 5 rings and put them in my extra large blue blade cleaning tub from Rockler and use whatever typical "pitch remover" I have on hand at the time.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I just coil up my blades into 5 rings and put them in my .....
    I've had a hard time getting my 1/2" blades to do that. Got a trick for those?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

[QUOTE=Chris Padilla;1488999]PAM is an oil...any issues getting that on your wood?

Not exactly an oil, although it does contain fatty acids. Original PAM is lecithin, which is a complex chemical derived from both plant and animal sources. It is used in many industrial and culinary applications. In the amount that is left on the blade, there is no problem. The newer, alternative PAMS, however, may have oils in them.