Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw recommendation

If you read up on arborist or logging sites, you'll find that there are four brands that get recommended, and two that are most heartily recommended: Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonesred, and Husky. Husqvarna and Stihl get the most recommendations, probably due to dealer representation. From neutral parties, I've heard it said that you can't go wrong with either the Husqvarna or Stihl, and that you're better off just buying the one with the closest dealership that will service you well.

I've used the comparable Husqvarna and Stihl consumer models with the 16" bar, and felt that the Husqvarna was not significantly, but appreciably, stronger and faster cutting, so I replaced my 18" Poulan with the Husqvarna when I found it on sale at Tractor Supply. A 3 year no questions asked replacement warranty cost me $30. I also picked up the 20" 455 Husqvarna Rancher to cut up the 33" maple trunks from this spring's carnage. The extra power from a bigger saw and longer bar make a huge difference. While you can cut a 30" trunk with a 16" bar, it took me close to 25 minutes. With the 455, it took less than 5 minutes.

Both of my saws are Husqvarna's a 142 which is now there 235 model and the 455 Rancher, both are awesome saws. I've never had any problems with Husqvarna items so I pretty much own all there stuff, backpack blower, trimmer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I've got a Stihl that has worked for me, but from the sound of it, you may consider using a sawzall with an appropriate blade. Especially if you already have one. No gas to go bad, and they are very reliable. I just looked on the internet, and they even have a 12" pruning blade.

Just a thought.
    Thanks! I have an 18V Bosch reciprocating saw and have never even thought of using it for pruning limbs that don't really need a chainsaw. The reason is that I did use it to cut some thick roots that were in the way while I was digging a trench last fall and it took me days to clean off all the mud that got into the saw. I guess I never thought of using it for tree work again, but it is a great solution - as long as you keep it out of the mud!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    We had a commercial duty Stihl (there -are- different Stihl levels of quality!)
    Greg, thanks.

I am so confused by some of the terminology. I have tried to compare the pro and mid-range Stihl and Husqvarnas, but can't seem to get a good answer as to why I would want to spend the extra money for a "pro" saw.

I am looking at something with a 55-60 cc motor and find that the Pro version of the Stihl or Husvarana are in the mid-$600 range, but the mid-range version of the same saw is at least $150 cheaper. Is there something about the pro versions that justifies the extra money?

Thanks again.

Happy with my 2 Huskys. Had them for about 5 yrs. Do recommend the best hearing protection you can get. Chain saws helped mess up my hearing - among other things.....

I have two Stihls. The Farm Boss and the MS180. Each have their own uses, for me anyway. For cutting down trees and then cutting into logs for turning I use the Farm Boss. For the smaller jobs I use the MS180. The Farm Boss weighs in at about 13lbs., which doesn't sound like much, but after a time it does get heavy.

Tony
    Tony

"Soldier On"

+1 for stihl. A couple months ago I bought a Stihl 660 magnum with a 36" bar for milling. Man, that things flies! Couldn't be happier. I've milled 30" walnut with it without any problems. Keep that chain sharp, you'll love it.

Another alternative is bailey's is having a sale on their solo saws. Solo is made in germany as well, and it looks like some pretty good deals. I've never used one but was thinking about buying a 50-70cc model for trimming branches and such. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    A BLACK & DECKER 18V Cordless Alligator Lopper Model # NLP1800B works well for trimming the branches
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

+ 1 for the Huskey.
    I have a 16" Huskey for small every day stuff, works great, pretty aggressive for a small saw.
    I also have a little 16" homelite that is down at the moment for unknown reasons. Got to fix it one of these days.

My "big" saw is an OLD Homelite C71 w/32"bar. It only comes out when "size matters" because it is a beast. Wears you down fast, but it starts first or second pull every time. It is a lower rpm saw and always sounds bored after listening to the newer high rpm saws all day. Sure cuts good though.
    2009_0921photostest0011.jpg
    My Homelites. Isn't the little one cute.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Faucett View Post
    If you read up on arborist or logging sites, you'll find that there are four brands that get recommended, and two that are most heartily recommended: Husqvarna, Stihl, Jonesred, and Husky. Husqvarna and Stihl get the most recommendations, probably due to dealer representation.
    actually, husky and husqvarna are the same thing, husky is a nickname.

and, husqvarna makes jonsered saws, cosmetic differences only.

so it's stihl and husky for the win. both companies make saws that will last a lifetime, and both have devout fans so it's really a toss up.

like others have said, buy from a dealer, not a box. they can service, sharpen, order parts, and they will actually know something about the products they sell.

a saw with a 20" bar and around 50cc's will easily handle the work you have planned and be able to handle a lot more. a smaller saw could do it too, but i personally would rather use a slightly heavier saw for 10 minutes than a slightly lighter saw for 30 minutes, plus you will be ready for larger tasks should the need arise.

do keep in mind that face/ear protection, decent chaps and gloves will run close to $100.

also, if you do the research and decide what model(s) you like/need, check ebay. there are TONS of saws for going for good prices but you need to know what you want. i recently won a large milling saw for way less than half the new cost, and it runs flawlessly (gloat!).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Friedman View Post
    Greg, thanks.

I am so confused by some of the terminology. I have tried to compare the pro and mid-range Stihl and Husqvarnas, but can't seem to get a good answer as to why I would want to spend the extra money for a "pro" saw.

I am looking at something with a 55-60 cc motor and find that the Pro version of the Stihl or Husvarana are in the mid-$600 range, but the mid-range version of the same saw is at least $150 cheaper. Is there something about the pro versions that justifies the extra money?

Thanks again.
    In general, the pro lines have more durable engine parts, and are often a bit lighter when comparing equal machines with equal horse power. They're designed to run all day every day. I wanted something that could power a 24" bar, but I'm not a full time user, so I ended up going with the biggest of the of the mid level Stihls, the MS390. Love it. I couldn't justify the extra cost of the pro model in that size range, since I'm not using the saw every day. I probably use it less than once month, so I figure it should still last longer than I do. Even the mid-level machines are very well built.

Update

I found a guy taking down a neighbor's trees and had him take a look at our yard. Because of the extreme weight of the main branch to be removed, I think I'll have that done professionally, along with a solid round of getting our trees into the right shape. They will cut and stack it all up for firewood.

That leaves me with buying a tool for the dead oleander clusters, each with dozens of 2"-3" trunks. I also need it to do future trimming and pruning. I can picture using a medium duty $400 chainsaw (good local Stihl dealer) or a 12-15 Amp Milwaukee Sawzall with pruning blades.

I am weighing the convenience of not using a 100' electric cord with the higher chainsaw cost. Either way looks good and you folks have given some great advice.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian,

I had a Husquvarna 55 Rancher that was a very good saw, if a bit hard to start. Unfortunately, it got stolen out of my son's pickup.

I wanted to replace it with a Stihl Farm Boss but when I got to the dealer's, I decided on the Stihl MS 250 CBE. It's listed as an occassional use saw but it's 3.0 hp, 18" bar, soft start, toolless chain adjustment and light enough to use without getting fatigued.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS250CBE.html

I use a chainsaw for occassional tree felling and trimming around the house and also for harvesting turning blanks when the opportunity arises. I think the 250 will more than meet my needs and, from what you've written, yours too.

I also think you will be happy with any of the saws mentioned so far but wanted to give you some personal experience with another option.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

chainsaw recommendation

I read the other people's recommendations, and it was as expected that most would say Stihl or Husky....they are good saws but I still like my ECHO CS306!
    I inhereted two Stihl saws when my dad died back in '94. He always had trouble starting those saws even when brand new, and they have been a bear ever since. I just plain and simply got tired of fighting them to start up myself, got irritated went and bought an Echo and couldn't be happier! It starts on the second or third pull every time without fail and never lets me down. I would rather spend the time cutting wood than spend the time
    working on a saw that doesn't want to run.

Buy quality...stay away from "homeowner" brands/models at the 'borg. Stihl, Husqi, etc., is what you want for long lasting use and easier starts. I personally own and use a Stihl .029 Farm Boss...it replaced my "mistake" chainsaw purchase that died after only one tree of cutting...so it would have been less money to buy from the start.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...