Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why Don't They Make Dumb Phones?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    This stupid Droid won't even get thru 24 hours without being charged.
    John,

I'm not sure how you have your phone set up, but I easily get 2 days before I plug in my charger (I typically do so when the charge hits around 35-40%), and sometime I'll push for three days if the charge is high enough.

I have noticed that if I don't shut down the browser after looking for something, the battery quickly gets eaten up (well within 24 hours). I work in a near-zero signal zone, so for 9 hours a day the phone is maxing out its signal strength, and I still get a few days of battery life. I mostly text, only a few calls here and there (when not at work and in a good signal strength zone).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    John,

I'm not sure how you have your phone set up, but I easily get 2 days before I plug in my charger (I typically do so when the charge hits around 35-40%), and sometime I'll push for three days if the charge is high enough.

I have noticed that if I don't shut down the browser after looking for something, the battery quickly gets eaten up (well within 24 hours). I work in a near-zero signal zone, so for 9 hours a day the phone is maxing out its signal strength, and I still get a few days of battery life. I mostly text, only a few calls here and there (when not at work and in a good signal strength zone).
    Yeah, I do need to work on how I have it set up. A couple of people have recommended some apps that will help with that. But I can't help thinking...why buy a phone that has a ton of features, if you're just gonna have to disable the features in order to use the phone? I mean, I can "text" with a cheap cell phone.

Blog Entries
    I did not have to install anything special, I just had to pay attention to what I was doing... for example, the browser does not shut down if you hit the "home" button, so I normally hit the "back" button several times to get me back to the home screen. That way, I know the browser has shut down. If you don't, it eats up a ton of power. I also have Bluetooth enabled 24/7 so I can hop in the car and not have to fumble with the phone shoudl a call come in. I set up the Wi-Fi, but I keep it disabled because if I'm at home where the Wi-Fi is setup for, I just hop on the computer.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I got a new company phone back in May and like Joe, it's one of those drop it and it keeps on ticking phones. I finally have text capability, which just annoys me. It's one more way that people can irritate me! (yes, I would prefer to be a hermit)

Rick, I thought I was the only one that really dislikes the photo instruction method. Jeepers, if I need to insert tab A into slot B just ell me.
    I think it would be a whole lot easier if we weren't able to follow directions Belinda... those must be for the vast masses of people with no concept of how to follow simple instructions. I think it is a case of "dumbing it down" to the lowest common denominator... Unfortunately if that is the "lowest common denominator" then I fear for humanities existence.