Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petrified wood

Mike, that is cool, now if you get enough of it you could make a gas station out of it.

This one is in Decatur, Texas

PC023253.jpg PC023256.jpg

I just can't figure out what would scare wood that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post
    T-Rex, maybe?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

4. Quote Originally Posted by rick carpenter View Post

My woodworking skills.

I have a neighbor who goes fossil hunting in various parts of Eastern North Carolina, mostly in the Tar River and the Aurora area. He has a large display of sharks teeth, petrified logs of various sizes/shapes/colors and many whale vertebra(sp). He has given me several pieces which I am in the process of making display stands for. Amazing how heavy this stuff gets when it gets petrified over a couple of thousand years.

Mike, REALLY cool gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    Just for kicks, here's something interesting that can be done with petrified wood - petrified wood counters. The photos don't do the product justice. It is incredible!

http://www.concettous.com/Content.as...=product&id=32

Belinda, I am in love with that and we have been looking for a "different" counter material. Do you know a "rough" price on it, it looks perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Belinda, I am in love with that and we have been looking for a "different" counter material. Do you know a "rough" price on it, it looks perfect.
    I don't have access to your checkbook, so I'm going to say read this sitting down just in case.

The last time I quoted this material the square foot price was $415.00. It was fairly new on the market at that time and the raw material price may have dropped a bit.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    I don't have access to your checkbook, so I'm going to say read this sitting down just in case.

The last time I quoted this material the square foot price was $415.00. It was fairly new on the market at that time and the raw material price may have dropped a bit.

Thanks! I expected it to be over 200 a square. The key with that raw material cost (for me) would be to use it sparingly and as an accent. I will keep my eye on it. My first thought was use it on the island but even that is 32ft^2 which is approaching $15k all in... My wife mentioned using it as a backsplash material which might actually work asthetically and money wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Thanks! I expected it to be over 200 a square. The key with that raw material cost (for me) would be to use it sparingly and as an accent. I will keep my eye on it. My first thought was use it on the island but even that is 32ft^2 which is approaching $15k all in... My wife mentioned using it as a backsplash material which might actually work asthetically and money wise.
    Since I don't know your area I can't recommend a fabricator, but the website should be able to guide you to one. I would suggest getting a quote from a local fab shop as you may be able to get it for around the 200 price point. The price I quoted included excess material. Not all fabricators do that but we do with a "semi precious" material. Unless they have changed the slab sizes a slab is 45.8 square feet so there wouldn't be a lot of waste if you did just the island. It is a very "strong" material visually so the best plan may be just to use it as an accent like a backsplash.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra