Thread: COPY and PASTE, IMBEDDED CHARTERS??

Red face COPY and PASTE, IMBEDDED CHARTERS??

COPY and PASTE, IMBEDDED CHARTERS??

…. Does anyone know how to copy and paste from “MS WORD” without maneuvering around all the hidden imbedded charters that are transferred over from one format to another or that interface with each other. What I have found is that if you type up your article in the SMC’s word processor everything works fine. If I type up an article in “MS WORD” then copy and paste it into the SMC’s word processor I have to play with it to get it to a point were it will POST then I can edit it and get out all the unwanted characters, but I have to get it to post FIRST so I can SEE and then edit all the unwanted charters out. Sometimes this can be a time consuming task. There is another forum that I am a member of and they have the same or very similar software that uses all the same smiley faces and I do NOT have any trouble going from one processor to another on theirs.

.... Does anyone have an easy and convenient way of doing this ?
    <O</O

Boyd
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

Boyd -

You could always save the word file as a TEXT file, then paste that. For example, Word automatically turns ": )" into a smiley. When pasted, it comes out "?". In TXT format it does not automatically "help" you out. If you have an embedded table or a lis in Word, it will not paste in the correct format. You have to manually enter the information in the desired format. However, using Word is great for spell checks, etc.

Also, if you are in the "Advanced" mode - vice "Reply", you can preview the post before you actually upload it for everyone to see.

Regards,
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted Shrader; 12-10-2004 at 12:01 PM.

Boyd, I am typing this on MS Word and will see if it works like it has in the past. After I finish typing I highlite the whole text and “control c” to copy it then “control v” to paste it to the msg. blank in SMC. Here goes.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Seems to have worked just fine, Steve.

Keith

Thumbs up

Hi Ted and thanks,

…. Congratulations, What you said got me thinking. There are so many approaches and combinations to these kinds of problems. I did as you recommended, saving the file as a text file FIRST in WORD then PASTEING it into SCM’s word processor, Didn’t Work. Most likely, because I have worked this particular file so much that I feel sure there was LINGERING CODE left behind. So, what I did was copied the TEXT file from WORD and PASTED it into a basic word editor, NOTEPAD, than I PASTED it into SMC’s word processor, adjusted fonts and sizing and spacing and what do you know everything fell right in place.

…. You my man are my hero ; I have been struggling, massaging my posts for months thinking that I would someday take the time to figure it out .

<O</O

Boyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Boyd -

You could always save the word file as a TEXT file, then paste that. For example, Word automatically turns ": )" into a smiley. When pasted, it comes out "?". In TXT format it does not automatically "help" you out. If you have an embedded table or a lis in Word, it will not paste in the correct format. You have to manually enter the information in the desired format. However, using Word is great for spell checks, etc.

Also, if you are in the "Advanced" mode - vice "Reply", you can preview the post before you actually upload it for everyone to see.

Regards,
    Ted

Yes, if you want to use word without pasting the formatting characters, paste into Notepad first, then copy and paste into the SMC window.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Thumbs up

Thanks Aaron,

…. That’s what it’s looking like in one of my most resent posts. To avoid all that struggle, I think everything will go through NOTEPAD from now on .

Thanks again

<O</O

Boyd
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Yes, if you want to use word without pasting the formatting characters, paste into Notepad first, then copy and paste into the SMC window.
    Last edited by Boyd Gathwright; 12-10-2004 at 3:26 PM. Reason: Removed embedded characters and/or made adjustments and/or adjusted font size.

I'm fairly certain that pasting to Notepad simply drops all of the formatting creating just a basic TXT file. You should be able to accomplish the same thing more quickly by simply saving your Word docs as TXT files.

More quickly? Here's how it would work for me:

CTRL+A (Select All, Word),
    CTRL+C (Copy),
    CTRL+ALT+N (My Notepad Hotkey),
    CTRL+V (Paste),
    CTRL+A (Select All, Notepad)
    CTRL+C (Copy)
    ALT+{TAB+TAB} (Switch back past Word doc to the browser window)
    CTRL+V (Paste)

All of this in lightening succession.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator