Thread: I think this guy has had enough of craigslist....wood rant

I think this guy has had enough of craigslist....wood rant

Found this little rant on craigslist and found it amusing...

greenville.craigslist.org
    just my observation of c/l posting of items for sale, do people really believe that pine wood is REAL CHERRY WOOD just because its stained red? or did the slick salesman just whisper that in your wifes ear, or that pressboard w/a 3/32" sheet of oak veinner is solid oak table, have you ever turned it upside down and looked! and why would anyone pay 1000s of dollars for a rug, and expect some to pay you 900 for it, just a little stain here and there, and its really never been used (buts its 30 years old). asia is now pushing a wood called fruit wood,actually flooding the market with it because its very cheap, that is stained cherry stain, walnut stain etc, ( its actually a BEAUTIFUL grained very soft wood and very easy to work, its natural color is blond, but its being sold as oak, cherry, maple etc, and people actually believe it is solid cherry wood etc, next time your at a lumber yard ask the salsman how much is walnut a board foot? if he even has it you couldnt afford it, around 35 a board foot, and last but not least, "it was bought at pier one" for such and such, it came from etc, etc, like that makes it better, folks pressboard is pressboard. do they not teach shop in school any more?
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-14-2010 at 6:39 AM. Reason: removed link to Craig's list
    Wood is very beautiful in tree form. Wood is very useful in burning form. I merely try to make my work honor the first, avoid the latter, and aim for the middle: beautiful and useful.

No, they do not teach shop in school any more. Damn shame, too. The ratio of morons to intelligent people is increasing daily.

Blog Entries
    $35/bf for walnut? Where does this poor guy live? I just paid $6.80/bf and it was higher than last month. CL and Ebay are amusing sometimes though.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

When dealing with customers you can tell them it is a hardwood stained Cherry. All they hear is Cherry. Friend ask "What kind of wood is it" They say "Cherry"
    You have this problem in any industry. I use to run a retail Garden Center.
    If it was dirt they called it "Top Soil" Walk in and say "ring me up for a bag of Top Soil". Ring them up, go to load it. "Hey I don't want that, I want this" You mean the bag of Potting Soil, Humus, Peat, Cow Manure etc.....
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    $35/bf for walnut? Where does this poor guy live? I just paid $6.80/bf and it was higher than last month. CL and Ebay are amusing sometimes though.
    it's good to live in arkansas every now and then, i pay 3.00 a foot even .

now about that old growth redwood...

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    it's good to live in arkansas every now and then, i pay 3.00 a foot even .

now about that old growth redwood...
    i pay 3.00 a foot even out here....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    it's good to live in arkansas every now and then, .
    Not this summer...
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    To be fair, I wouldn't know the difference between most of the different woods. Am I a moron? Certainly not... I'm just ignorant. I have not spent any appreciable amount of time looking at the different woods available, so I could not make an informed decision just by looking at it. Sure, I know pressboard, OSB, etc. on sight, but I couldn't tell the difference between white oak and white pine at this very moment in time. They most likely look different, but I would guess and have a 50/50 shot of getting it correct.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Not this summer...
    True....I wouldn't mind being somewhere where it's cooler for this summer.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.