Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cocobolo is Not My Friend

Cocobolo is Not My Friend

I should have known better, my nose started running when I first started turning the cocobolo. I put on a respirator under my face shield but left my arms uncovered. The shavings and dust stuck to my sweaty arms and hands. Below is what occurred after a couple of days, BTW I was just getting over a bout of Poison Ivy. Long sleeves and gloves will be used with the exotics from now on.

Wow William,
    I hope the symptoms clear quickly.
    Cocobolo is so beautiful when first turned. Unfortunately, it becomes rather boring after extended exposure to UV.

I have read some people comment that after an initial reaction to a specific wood, subsequent exposure came with more serious reactions.
    Long sleeves and gloves can also be dangerous around power tools.

Lots of other woods to choose from.

Best,
    Larry
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I've heard it said that there are 2 types of people. Those that are allergic to cocobolo and those who will become allergic. Take care and I hope you recover quickly.

This is not good! That is one of my favorite woods and I have quite a stash of it. It does make my nose run a little. I hope I don't have to look forward to further reactions.

Sorry to hear about the reaction. Hate allergies. Only wished I lived closer, I would drive over and get that nasty stuff out of your shop for your own good.

Luckily, I am still not allergic to coco.

Not everyone is allergic to cocobolo. But if you are... well you got off lucky with "just a rash"! For me it's cedar. Makes me sick to be within fifteen feet of the stuff...
    David DeCristoforo

Blog Entries
    Wow! That is a bummer. I've been fortunate in that I've yet been allergic to any woods I've come across. Although, I find the smell of poplar to be extremely gross.
    Have a Nice Day!

That sucks. I'd hit the benadryl pretty hard and consider a topical steroid cream... You can buy hydrocortisone cream over the counter. That's about the best you can do in the short term.

In the long run, I'd avoid cocobolo. Hopefully your allergy doesn't extend to other rosewoods.

Yow! That looks uncomfortable. I've never had a problem with cocobolo, but those that do, sure react poorly.

Good thing there's a doctor in the house.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart View Post
    ...Good thing there's a doctor in the house.
    I'm not really much of a medical doctor. Now if Hutch would like for me to cut his arm off, that's where I might really come in handy.

I knew you were a helpful sort of fellow David.
    ~john

Yikes!!! Hope you get that under control real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Cocobolo makes me itch a bit when it gets in contact with sweaty skin. It also gives me allergic type reactions, runny nose, swollen eyes, etc.

I always run the dust collector with a big intake right behind whatever I am turning, especially when sanding.

But BOY is it worth it! My favorite wood, that and tulipwood. Wish I could afford more of both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Colman View Post
    ...It also gives me allergic type reactions, runny nose, swollen eyes, etc.
    David Keller is willing to remove those if you ever have another problem.
    ~john

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    I'm not really much of a medical doctor. Now if Hutch would like for me to cut his arm off, that's where I might really come in handy.
    If that service is required you'd be at the top of the list but I'd ask you to install one of these with a 3/4" boring bar with a swan neck attachment.