Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bowl and a load of free wood - YAY!

First Bowl and a load of free wood - YAY!

Hi Guys,

I know this is one of those posts that make you all cringe - the first bowl post. Anyway, this is a little one that I made on my Jet mini. Approx 5" in diameter. Mesquite finished with Danish Oil (natural) and Beall buffed. I could only buff the outside as I don't yet have a set of goblet buffs for the inside. I need to make a donut chuck to help finish the bottoms (I cheated and after jam chucking to remove the waste I grabbed the ROS for the remaining bit (sorry to the purists)

Anyway, the more fun part was a Shoestring Acacia tree blew down at work this week. I was waiting for the noise of the chainsaws from the ground crew and low and behold, at lunch today I heard that magical music. I waited till they got to the trunk and loaded it up. They must have thought I was a crazy nut but they were happy to not have to load it in their trailer and haul away. I'll hit it with some paint to slow the checking but can't wait to make some beautiful blanks out of this. Should be very very pretty inside. If not, it was free so I can't complain. Gonna strain the ol' Jet 14" with riser block for certain.

I think I need a Powermatic 3520B... I don't think my wife will agree.

Thanks guys for all the inspiration - I enjoy reading all your posts.

JP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jon, nice wood. It's a nice shape also. I'm speaking, also to myself, but open the bowl up some at the top, it's hard to turn the steep sides. Some reason it's hard at first to do that and I struggle with every bowl. I'm conserned about your haul of wood drying out to fast, you may want to ship to me here in Tennessee and I'll keep it for you in my shop

A nice little bowl. Lots of character. Can't wait to see what is hidden in the new wood blanks.

"The best things in life are not things."

Congrats on the first bowl, Jon... It looks good to me.

I've never heard of shoestring acacia, so I'm looking forward to seeing something turned out of that. In fact, could you go turn something from it now?

thats a very nice bowl, and a pretty good haul also
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I could show you a first bowl that's WAY worse than that. Nice job. Be sure to sign it and keep it for comparison with progressive efforts-you'll be amazed. Yes, you DO need a 3520b! What's the wife got to do with it? Just sneak it in when she isn't looking.

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post
    I could show you a first bowl that's WAY worse than that. Nice job. Be sure to sign it and keep it for comparison with progressive efforts-you'll be amazed. Yes, you DO need a 3520b! What's the wife got to do with it? Just sneak it in when she isn't looking.
    I wish my first bowl looked that good! Mine looked like a funnel!

Hi Jon, I'm also local and turn a lot of mesquite and shoestring acacia. If you ever want to give a 3520b a test drive let me know. I'd also encourage you to visit and join the local woodturners association. We meet monthly in Tempe, our next meeting is the 21st.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Clark2 View Post
    Hi Jon, I'm also local and turn a lot of mesquite and shoestring acacia. If you ever want to give a 3520b a test drive let me know. I'd also encourage you to visit and join the local woodturners association. We meet monthly in Tempe, our next meeting is the 21st.

Jason
    Thanks Jason! I am working on paying off my hobby addiction so my 3520b is a pipe dream at this point. Gotta have something to dream about. I would like to attend the local meetings - I went to one a long time ago and should join the group. It is hard though with family to schedule play time for dad.

I would live to see what you have turned with acacia - I've never turned any before. Is it pretty stable like mesquite? I'm wondering how the drying will go in this AZ summer weather. I would rather not do the DNA or other methods but will if I have to. Thanks!

JP

Quote Originally Posted by bob svoboda View Post

sneak it in... funny. My wife is a CPA and our financial gatekeeper. She is a bit tight on the ol purse strings so I don't think she will jump at the new lathe.

JP

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Congrats on the first bowl, Jon... It looks good to me.

I've never heard of shoestring acacia, so I'm looking forward to seeing something turned out of that. In fact, could you go turn something from it now?
    Believe me - the AC is going on in the garage tonight so I can hit the lathe tomorrow or Sunday. Got to bring the 110F down to a liveable temp. I can't wait to see inside this stuff.

JP

Great job on the bowl. You should see my first one. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't unless you want a good laugh.

Best type of wood is the free stuff... Good haul.
    Nice work on the bowl. And yes you need a 3250b. Your wife won't notice you sneaking it in...

very nice !st bowl
    great gloat, nice haul on the mesquite, i would rather have access to free mesquite than a 3520, i am happy with 1642

enjoy and keep us posted

It's pretty stable, not quite as stable as Mesquite but pretty close.

I've attached a photo of a piece I finished about 6 months ago. It has a very nice chocolate brown color with some yellow and orange mixed it. I normally try to turn away most of the sapwood, primarily for aesthetic purposes.

Jason
    Attached Images Attached Images