Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For all you motorheads ....The BOSS is back

For all you motorheads ....The BOSS is back

For those that remember the BOSS 302 Mustang from 69-70...they are bringing it back!! Just announced yesterday Aug. 13. 2010.

440 HP / 380 lb/ft torque from a 5.0 L engine....need I say more!!

Enjoy.!! Should look good next to my 2003 Mach 1

http://media.ford.com/mini_sites/10031/2012Boss302/
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Cool. Very cool! Considering a nice example of a '69 or '70 version now goes for $60,000 and up (way up), one can now spend less dough and buy a new BOSS 302 with more power, better handling, better safety features and a warranty.

Of course, there's nothing like owning a classic car. But it's nice that we again have the option of buying a Shelby or a BOSS Mustang. (You know, the BOSS Mustangs ticked off Carol Shelby and were a factor which led to the end of the Shelby Mustangs. I sure hope history doesn't repeat itself in this area. I'm sure there's plenty of room for both Shelby and BOSS Mustangs.)

Chevro-who?
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 08-14-2010 at 7:10 PM.

Very nice but 'stangs never did it for me.

I hope this doesn't shove aside development of fuel efficient stuff, battery power, etc. One more round of "Detroit doesn't deserve a bailout because they only sell gas gusslers" and I'm gonna loose it.

If they build it, it will sell. Don't blame the shoemaker when you buy shoes that don't fit.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I want one! And the new 350 diesel also.
    Wife likes the "stang". I do to. but I REALLY like that 350!
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

I remember the Hot Wheels Boss Hoss, it was so cool, but I was 10, so a lot of stuff was cool.
    J Load

re;Shelby ticked off about Boss

Didn't hear about the "end of the Shelby Mustangs" Our local dealer sold several Shelby GT 500's last year and has a new 2011 Shelby GT500 in transit. Shelby also just last year finished collabrating with Ford on a new ground up concept Cobra, so doesn't seem too upset with them. Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    I hope this doesn't shove aside development of fuel efficient stuff, battery power, etc. One more round of "Detroit doesn't deserve a bailout because they only sell gas gusslers" and I'm gonna loose it.
    Ford was already way ahead of GM and Chrysler with smaller, fuel efficient cars. Let's not forget the Japanese manufacturers also make high end sports cars and large, sport sedans (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura). So, it's well proven that an automobile manufacturer can sell smaller, more fuel efficient cars as well as sporty cars. Consider also that even the Mustang GT and Corvette fuel mileage is pretty impressive compared the old muscle cars. And I'll bet the new Boss 302 MPG is comparable to a newer Lincoln and certainly better than an Escilade.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Nicholson View Post
    Didn't hear about the "end of the Shelby Mustangs" Our local dealer sold several Shelby GT 500's last year and has a new 2011 Shelby GT500 in transit. Shelby also just last year finished collabrating with Ford on a new ground up concept Cobra, so doesn't seem too upset with them. Curious
    Walt, I was referring to Carol Shelby being upset about the orginal Boss Mustangs back in 1969 and 1970. He saw them as direct competition for his performance Mustangs. As I understand it, this led to a falling out between Shelby and Ford. 1969 was really the last year for the old Shelby Mustangs. The 1970 Shelby Mustangs were actually leftover 1969 cars. Of course, soon after, the EPA, insurance companies and fuel shortages would put an end to muscle cars anyway. But now The Boss is back! And Shelby Mustangs are Back!

Shoot, I really need to get another Mustang! Unlike Mitchell, I've always been a Mustang guy. My very first car was a 1971 fastback. Then I bought a 1970 fastback. I had both cars at the same time and it was great! Then I joined the Navy and sold them both.

I also drove a 1969 Cougar as my daily driver for twelve years. That car was a lot of fun. Yeah, it was actually a Mustang underneath, but it still wasn't a Mustang.

When I'm ready, I'd like to buy a 1969 or 1970 Mach 1. I'm always looking online just for fun.

When the last round of the hp mustangs came out I found it kinda funny that on the window sticker there was a gas guzzling tax figured into the price of the car. I don't know if that's everywhere or just Maine

I think if the MPG rating is below the average for that type of car or something, it gets the gas guzzler tax. They have been improving the fuel efficiency of them. The new Mustang V6 is getting 31mpg and 300hp.

My 2003 Mach 1 which is rated 320 hp, did not have the gas guzzler tax. on long trips I can get 27-29mpg with it.
    Dave W. -
    Restoring an 1890 Victorian
    Cuba, NY

Ford Schmord. "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Stand aside, please.

3600 pounds....woof!

Cars have gotten way too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mark Lane View Post
    Ford Schmord. "Fix Or Repair Daily".

Stand aside, please.
    I see a Camaro. So where's the guy with a Mullet which ultimately goes with it?

Seriously, Chevy made some great cars back then. And the new Corvette is a great car.

Abuse me all you want. But I am still a proud Mustang/Ford guy when it comes to "cool cars". And I will continue to believe Ford stands for "First On Race Day".
    Last edited by Pat Germain; 08-15-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jolliffe View Post
    When the last round of the hp mustangs came out I found it kinda funny that on the window sticker there was a gas guzzling tax figured into the price of the car. I don't know if that's everywhere or just Maine
    Its' a federal gaz guzzler tax. The big SUV's also get it slapped onto the price tag. But as I recall, some of the newer performance cars have an MPG rating which does not invoke the gas guzzler tax.

I haven't seen the MPG ratings for the new Boss 302. But with a 5.0L engine, relatively light and aerodynamic car, electronic fuel injection and overdrive, I bet it's pretty impressive for a car with that much umph.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    And I will continue to believe Ford stands for "First On Race Day".
    When I was in HS and these cars were on their second owners, it stood for "Found On Road Dead".

It was GTO, Camaro, Charger - or you walked.

'course, I had an XKE and an MGB. I didn't hang at the gas station swapping transmissions.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC