Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Witch's Cauldron - To Dye For?!?

Oh, WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David DeCristoforo View Post
    Sweet! It looks like a flower from some other world. Very ethereal.

was thinking the same thing...

Blog Entries
    What are the dimensions?
    Have a Nice Day!

Thanks to all - you guys are easy to please!! This is a very simple turning, and it was done mainly to provide a subject for the dye process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    John
    Beautiful work. For the sake of discussion, did you find the use of black first a plus or did it make the other colors too subtle. I find black difficult to use without overpowering the piece. Also you used water as the additive (some say alcohol gives more uniform absorbtion. Did you seal the wood with a wash coat first, and was the dye brushed on or sprayed. Sorry for all the questions but I like to know how others use dyes and finishes.
    Bob, for me, using black dye is a way of really creating contrast. A little goes a long way. No sealer was used. The piece is sanded back heavily after the black dye, and before the application of the other colors. On this piece, I left more black toward the bottom tapering out to what appeared to be nearly all of it sanded off at the rim.

However, it is deceptive. While it may appear that you have removed all of the black, it is still there - deep in the grain. It will really pop when finish is applied. That is why you must sand it back way beyond what you think you are doing. If you stop when you "think" it is right, it will overpower.

Same for the other colors. After sanding them out, one would swear the piece is a muted, faded mess. But, then apply the finish!!

Bob, you know this, but for others - one caution, black dye is comprised largely of blue pigment. That will effect all other colors that are applied. It will tint the yellow to a green, the red to a wine/purple tone, etc. So, to that end, one must plan ahead with the black.

On water vs. alcohol, I think water based dye is much easier to use as it is more foregiving in application. Alcohol dries much quicker and can create distinct dye edges that cannot be removed. I would think spraying alcohol based dye would be a safer method - perhaps with a Cricket sprayer, or air brush setup.

Water does raise the grain, but when one is sanding the piece multiple times with this type of dye process, grain raising is a non-issue.

I just used a piece of paper shop towel for the application, and wiped in on. But, I did give direction to the dye "wipes" so as to follow the uplifting grain of the burl. The red was applied to the center of the bottom, and then 5-6 swipes up the side toward the rim that kind of came to a point - like flames. Then, on the yellow dye, I did the reverse - starting at the rim, and sweeping down with pointed swipes between the red. They overlap a little on all edges.

Then, while wet, I took a dry piece of shop towel, and briskly rubbed the piece, blending the edges of the colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    What are the dimensions?
    Jon, the piece is 6.5" tall, and the "bowl" is about 4.75" at the widest area of the rim. The pedestal stem is 4 5/8" tall and about 1/8" thick in the narrow portions. The captured bead is 7/16" wide. The base of the stem is just under 1.5" wide, and the top of the stem is 1" wide.

Thanks, again, for the interest in this process - that is really why it was done. I wanted something rather plain so the dyed look would be the prominent feature.

5. What is your photo setup?

John,

This is an extraordinary turning! [most of yours are ] I was wondering about how you do your photographs ............ I have heard about light boxes and something called photogradient[?] paper, but I do not know how that is set up.

Is that what you use? I ask because your background and lighting show all of the features in your turning without a lot of shadow, etc.

John, what a delight this piece is.(.just tell me when to go to WOW and congratulate you on pic of the day..) So delicate..lovely coloration (anything lighter/brighter would not look as elegant) You have been blessed with amazing hands, art skills to die for, and the ability to get Dolly to take a pic with you!!!! :-) :-) The fact that you started this journey in later life astounds me. It would seem to be a driving force..you must have 100's of pieces saved in your memory bank for making...I am thrilled you share these with this wood hacker.

Beautiful piece John. I like what you did with the dyes. Gotta try it someday. Last week I bought a case of 16 oz. bottles of leather/fabric dye (alcohol base) for $6.00, only 0.50/ bottle so I'm ready when I find the right piece of wood. Seeing what you have done is an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

Steve beat me to it. My first thought when I saw this piece was "Tiffany". Truly beautiful, John.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

9. An artists mind

John,

After reading your response to Bob, about your process.........one begins to think that there is something in the "artist" level of thinking that goes beyond the average turner.

You have stated in earlier postings that you think a project through all the way to completion including what woods to use and the steps involved and the finish process...........That must be what an "artist" does versus the chip and curlee manufacturer

John, you are turning (couldn't resist) out some really fantastic items - whoulda thunk a lawyer would have art in his heart (also couldn't resist).

John, you've done it again! Looks great.

A great piece, and I like the dye job, too.

Beautiful piece John, the dye really brings the burl to life. When I use Transtint on my flat work, I mix it into a 50/50 solution of water/DNA. This allows the dye to penetrate the wood but dry quicker so there's not as much grain raise.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

John all I can say is Wow and beautiful. You just continue to raise the bar.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Cunningham View Post
    Beautiful piece John, the dye really brings the burl to life. When I use Transtint on my flat work, I mix it into a 50/50 solution of water/DNA. This allows the dye to penetrate the wood but dry quicker so there's not as much grain raise.
    The best of both worlds! How come I never thought of that?