Thread: drying new sawn lumber

drying new sawn lumber

I recently had the "opportunity" to cut down a mulberry tree and had it sawn into lumber. I now need to dry the lumber without the aid of a kiln. It is just going to be stored in my garage for now.

To get the lumber out of the trailer fast, I simply stacked the lumber. After a few days, I finally got around to begin the stacking and stickering process only to discover two things: first, mold is already growing and second, there are ants on the wood.

So my questions are:
    Is there anything else to do to keep the mold from growing besides stickering the lumber to allow for airflow around the wood?

Should I put some bug spray or ant killer to rid the lumber of the ants?

thanks for the help

I'd paint the ends with anchorseal, a shellac primer or melted wax.

I'd only resort to a mild bleach solution if the mold looks like it keeps getting worse. I would mist it on with a sprayer. Else, as the moisture leaves the wood, so will the mold - presumably well before serious spalting sets in.

I wonder if bleach would also discourage the ants...?

Air drying

I would be sure to use DRY stickers or you will get sticker stain. Also I would suggest getting some air movement on the stickered pile to stop the mold.

The ants will go away but be carefull about any type of penetrating infestation.

First, you should not attempt to dry green wood initially in your garage. There is not enough air movement for proper drying. In addition, it will raise the relative humidity in your garage and cause things to rust.

Initial drying should be done outside. Build your stack in an area that has good air movement. Start it off the ground by about a foot. Then stack and sticker using dry "whitewood" stickers. Put a cover on top but leave all the sides open so air can freely move through the stack. Give it 3-6 months for outside drying if your lumber is 1" thick.

Further, if you are seeing ants, you certainly don't want to have this wood indoors. Are you sure they are ants and not some other more dangerous bugs. You don't want ants either.
    Howie.........

What Howie said.
    Outside, covered, w/good air flow.
    Wouldn't worry too much about ants - but raise it high enough off the ground so it won't be easy pickings for termites.

+2 for Howard's advice.

Yellow wood glue will also seal the ends.

The local woodturners informed me about using yellow wood glue on the ends. I have used wax sealers in the past but I always run out, titebond II is cheap at HD. It works great for me.

I agree with what others said up the air flow. Once it is stickered, use racket straps around it to keep it flat or add a layer of scrap wood or tin on top and add some weight to help keep it flat. Also, first and foremost make sure the base is level, like many things in life a good foundation is important.

Good luck
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Green wood that is dead stacked (stacked without stickers) will mold almost overnight. Sticking the wood will almost certainly stop mold growth and it shouldn't be a problem unless there is very high humidity around the stack. As has been said, initial drying should be out of doors to get rid of the first 'rush' of moisture. If you have access to decent moisture meter you can tell when it is suitable to use. (I have this on my mind right now because I'm rebuilding a cedar chest lid that cracked because I was too 'antsy' to use a batch of cedar. And speaking of ants I've not known them to be a problem unless they were already in a tree and come out of freshly cut wood. Amazing how many can be in a small pocket in the wood.
    And now for something completely different....