Thread: Mallee Burl Meets Manzanita Root

Mallee Burl Meets Manzanita Root

These two pieces have been sitting around the shop - and tumbling around my head - for some time, so I finally decided to do something with them. The original intent was to make a goblet with the Red Mallee wedge, then I put these two pieces together - not just a simple process of "putting them together" like it may seem, but a lot of stacking, restacking, reversing, "hmmmmmming" etc. until I either finally got the right combination or got tired of fooling with them - and the rest, as they say, is history. I decided to call it "Desert Sphinx"; my wife decided I've been out in the sun too long; and the neighbors decided that I must be weird. Well, here it is anyway. The Manzanita root is 5 inches long.

Well, Frank, perhaps both of us "have been out in the sun too long!!" I like it! Very different, and a contrast in form, color and texture. It has a lot going for it, and I will be interested in seeing the comments you get. This one may divide the masses, and I love a piece like that!! Pushing the envelope is a good thing!

Wild, but I would call it "Impact" it looks to me like a meteor impact on a strange planet. Nice work
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

I like it. The thought and imagination that went into it is one thing, the execution is another. Well done on all counts!

John - "contrast" was exactly what I was going for when I first put this together; "Sphinx" came to me after I had been looking at it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy levine View Post
    Wild, but I would call it "Impact" it looks to me like a meteor impact on a strange planet. Nice work
    "Splat!" was the first thing that came to mind when I read your comment.
    Last edited by Frank Van Atta; 08-16-2010 at 1:04 PM.

You definitely have contrast Frank. I like it a lot. Really a beauty.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

If being out in the sun too long resulted in this; I think you should drink some water, go back in the sun and maybe you will be inspired again.

Nice work!

I like it. It's definitely going to be a conversation starter. It reminds me a little of an exotic mushroom growing off of a piece of wood. I really like the contrast between the turned inner portion of the mallee burl and its smooth triangular exterior.

Frank, sometimes the most difficult thing to do with a piece of wood is to just leave it alone. I love how you've kept the turning to such a minimum and let the unique wood just stand on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Frank, sometimes the most difficult thing to do with a piece of wood is to just leave it alone.
    Exactly so!