Thread: will making smaller billets of walnut dry faster?

will making smaller billets of walnut dry faster?

Hi All,
    I have this huge pile of Black Walnut that I picked up this spring. I cut the ends off and sealed them with multiple coats of latex paint. The timbers are doing great however I was wondering how I could get some of this wood drier faster.
    Would cutting them into billets and then waxing the ends and cut face dry them faster?
    Some of the smaller timbers I would love to be able to turn some of these without getting cracks as they dry.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bill Wilcox
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Wilcox; 08-16-2010 at 12:21 PM. Reason: ring bowl pic

Looks like those are already dryed, turned and polished. But I'm assuming that you might have posted the wrong picture.

I use a small bowl kiln that I made to dry mine in. Bowls roughed out to about 1 inch and planks cut 1 inch thick take about three weeks to dry in the kiln.

Bill,

I have turned quite a bit of black walnut, I leave it in log form until ready to turn, then rough turn and soak over night in DNA. I can usually finish turning in 2 to 3 weeks after the DNA bath. I have also used the bandsaw to cut up billets to use for use in ornaments and finials, and let them sit for a couple months and not had any problems. Hope this helps.

Steve
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

It will pay you to look into the alcohol drying method.

http://alcoholsoaking.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the replies.
    Bill, these small bowls are in fact green prototypes of some ring bowls I plan on making. The bowls were turned so the crack that appeared are not visible. They are approximately 3 1/2" in dia. and 2 1/2" in height. I used black leather dye on the bowl part and sealed the dyed area with water based poly.

Mike, thanks for the information on alcohol soaking. I am going to review this carefully.

Steven, I am planning to cut some into billets and seal them for turning during the winter. So if I do this now I think I should be set.