Thread: Laser marking on graphite

Laser marking on graphite

I'm looking for someone who can laser mark on graphite (a smooth, sanded surface), either with a YAG laser or a CO2. I'm talking about marking the graphite (ie: burning it black) rather than engraving or cutting into it.
    I've had good results working with a company using a YAG, but the bed size is too small for this next project. I need to laser onto a panel 39" x 52", so the bed needs to be able to accept something that big. A CO2 laser on graphite doesn't burn as black, but it's good enough for my purposes, and it has the advantage of being able to run from a tiff, rather than a vector file.

Does anyone have experience with this? I'm looking for someone in the New York area who would be interested in a job lasering one of these panels.

Thanks!

Adam McEwen

Blog Entries
    I've never done graphite before... are we talking pure mineral or the clay-based stuff used in pencil lead?

If pure mineral, YAG is going to give you the better mark without question, but YAG systems will be harder to find than CO2, particularly for the bed size you're after. For New York-based CO2 outfits, check out our Friends of the Creek listing (red button up top)... Dee and Steve are two I can think of off f the top of my head in the NY area. If they can't help (and you don't mind a bit of travel or shipping), I can help you out.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I've never done graphite before... are we talking pure mineral or the clay-based stuff used in pencil lead?
    Sounds more like he's talking about carbon-fiber panels...
    I'll be interested to see the answers myself as I'm pondering making some CF Strat pickguards.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Dan, you did see the panel size of 39" x 52", didn't you? I don't think Dee, Steve, you, or me can do that one
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I was just going to fold it to fit Yeah, noticed the size after reading Lee's post...

I played around with some graphite and found that it does make a mark, just not a high contrast mark. I decided to do an experiment and cut some acrylic placed directly on top of the graphite block. I was amazed to see zero back flash on the acyclic, it didn't even have smoke damage. It appears that graphite absorbs laser energy very well. My next thought was to cover my table with it as a cutting surface, but found covering 60 sq feet was going to be quite expensive. I even thought about water-jetting the sheet into a cutting grid but I suspect it would become too fragile.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Harper View Post
    I played around with some graphite and found that it does make a mark, just not a high contrast mark. I decided to do an experiment and cut some acrylic placed directly on top of the graphite block. I was amazed to see zero back flash on the acyclic, it didn't even have smoke damage. It appears that graphite absorbs laser energy very well. My next thought was to cover my table with it as a cutting surface, but found covering 60 sq feet was going to be quite expensive. I even thought about water-jetting the sheet into a cutting grid but I suspect it would become too fragile.
    I'm not surprised, we use graphite marvers to shape hot glass, and it seems to hold up to very high temperatures, the other neat thing is molten glass will not stick to it, so lots of push molds for glass are made from it.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Blog Entries
    Jack,

Any suggestions on where to get smaller slabs, say 2'x2'?

Jack,

I don't remember where I found it, but I found it in a large selection of sizes. I just googled to find it though.
    Last edited by Jack Harper; 08-18-2010 at 8:46 AM.
    Jack

Jack,

Dan I have ordered smaller pieces and marble molds from here graphitesupplies.com but it's not cheap, A 20"x24" 1" thick is $277.
    -
    Zing 24 - 40 watts
    Corel X3/X5/X6
    Autocad 2016

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Joe, I'll check them out...