Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at new tablesaws

Looking at new tablesaws

Signed a contract tonight for a garage addition which will be a new workshop. I've got ~25yr old Craftsman contractors saw and would really like to upgrade to a cabinet saw. The Craftsman does fine (by my standards) but I'd really like something bigger. With the cost of the addition I want to keep the tool expenditures down as much as possible. So, I'm just looking for something like a decent 3hp saw. I've looked at the Jets in a store, but I can get a Grizzly 690 cheaper. This seems to be a well reviewed saw. Any reason not to look at the 690? Figure on building a router table, but I'd really like a shaper too. For the extra money, would I be better off getting a 50" ext w/router table? Of course I'm watching the statewide CL for a used cabinet saw too, it'd be nice to pick up a used one all set up. Thanks. Greg

In the price range I would look at the Grizzly 1023 as well, they are beginning to ship the redesigned ones as we speak. Under 2K new Grizzly would be my choice, when you go to the $2500+ range you open up the top end 10" cabinet saws (PM2000, SS PCS and Uni) but then you are edging into the bottom of the slider arena. Bottom line if you are set on staying under 2K then the 690 and 1023 offer the best bang for the buck.

Greg,

Don't overlook the used market; good equipment lasts a very, very long time (like decades), so you can save a bunch of money and it's relatively safe buying used if the quality was there in the beginning. I set up a professional shop with a mix of some new, mostly heavy-duty used, and none of the used stuff ever disappointed me.

Blog Entries
    Hi Greg,

Just my opinion, But I like the used tool market too. I saw a CL ad one time that had a shop full of Delta Equipment (Unisaw, 8" Jointer, 15" Stationary Planer, maybe a Shaper), Early Model Oneida Dust Collector, all for $1500. I think the equipment was 10 to 15 years old, hobbiest (part time) use only, looked to be in really good condition.

If I were buying a new saw I'd probably buy a Powermatic PM-2000. Not as sharply priced as a Grizzly but spread out over 10 to 20 years of use to me it's worth it.

PHM

Another answer to a big table is to buy a cabinet saw and a shaper and bolt them together, giving you a nice big cast iron table for both, although you will need to remove the fence and spindle on the shaper when you want to saw something wide. You can do this with the Unisaw and the delta HD shaper, I'm not sure what other saws and shapers bolt together.

I just picked up a Ridgid hybrid form the HD in Lincoln. It is the granite topped one and I believe they still have one left for $399!! I've used it for a couple weeks now and this thing is solid!!

It's only a 1 1/2 hp , but I haven't bogged it yet. Seems pretty stout so far.

Wish I could've gone with something bigger, but it's doing well and the mobile base on it has been nice for me.

I would look used first. Depending on what you want to make, saws are out there at highly discounted prices.

Sliding panel saws, heavy duty tablesaws (Northfield, etc), cabinet saws. They are all available cheap. Why pay double price?

I second the comment on taking a look at the used market. I just sold my 4 year old Jet Xacta for just under $1000. There was nothing wrong with it but I decided to get something else. Someone got a very good saw for a reasonable price.

If you do not find anything there, then buy a new one.

Depending on your area, used may be a good way to go. Here in the DFW area, I only saw one saw that was worth looking at during my 15 month search. All the others have been junk, or they wanted new price for them.
    I ordered the Grizzly G0691 at the end of December. I really like this saw. Very solid. It took me a while to get the set up tools I needed, and borrow one from a fellow Creeker, to see I was not set up as well as I thought I was. I'm more impressed now than I was before.
    So if you can't find a good deal on a well maintained used saw, don't hesitate getting a G0690/1. I think you will like it. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

The Griz is tough to beat for value. I doubt there's much quality difference between the Jet and Griz, but the Jet does offer dealer support and a longer warranty at a premium. Worth consideration if that's something that's important to you.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I'm not sure if it's still available but some guy on the Omaha craigslist has a Jet gold series cab saw for $500 in Elkhorn/Valley. It may be worth the drive. He has other equipment too

Greg, you couldn't convince me to own another cabinet saw since I went with a Euro slider.

You mentioned a shaper also, you can get a Euro sliding saw/shaper in one machine that has capabilities and accuracy far greater than a cabinet saw. As a bonus they usually have larger diameter saw blades and may have a scoring saw as well.

I happen to have a Hammer B3 Winner, Felder and Mini Max also have similar machines.

You may be able to find a used one.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah Bartlett View Post
    Another answer to a big table is to buy a cabinet saw and a shaper and bolt them together, giving you a nice big cast iron table for both, although you will need to remove the fence and spindle on the shaper when you want to saw something wide. You can do this with the Unisaw and the delta HD shaper, I'm not sure what other saws and shapers bolt together.
    I concur with Josia. I have a used PM66 along side a used PM 26 shaper. Makes a great steel table. Plus a 4x8 assembly table butted up to the back of the PM66. Bought both tools and table at auction for less than $1200. I like the used tool market. If you are willing to search and wait you will be rewarded.

Just finished installing the Grizzly G1023RLX yesterday. In terms of fit and finish it is better than my old Jet cabinet saw. I've only made one test cut so I can't give you a performance observation yet. In terms of customer service, back when I was complaining to Jet about the poor dust collection (Jet saw connected to a 2hp Jet DC ) all they could say was that it should work fine. Grizzly's customer service is legendary. I actually paid about the same for the new Grizz as I did the Jet 10 years ago.

I got a G0691 a couple months back and couldn't be happier with this saw. Very well thought-out, and I am very impressed with the quality...I was admittedly unsure of what to expect when the crate arrived so it was a bit of a leap of faith based on lots of good reviews here on SMC and elsewhere. Unpacking that saw was a series of things that impressed me more than I thought I'd be.

The riving knife is slick, and the trunnions are very smooth. Seemingly limitless power too. I'm very happy with the saw, and the long rails have turned out to be a good decision for me. If you ever find yourself in the KC area and want to look at one, give me a holler.