Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is an 8 1/2" Miter Saw useful?

Is an 8 1/2" Miter Saw useful?

I am slowly trying to put together a shop. I was wondering if anyone would find an 8 1/2" miter saw very useful if planning to have a 10 and 12 inch miter saw and a radial arm saw. Also, portability is no concern or issue.

Thanks,
    Eric

I have an 8 and 1/2 slide compound miter saw that I will use over my 12 compound. It cuts wider and gives a better cut.

Personally I think 4 'chop' style saws is overkill.
    The more I use my tablesaw, the more I prefer to use it for all but crosscutting stock > 48".

When my current 10" cms gives up the ghost, I'll probably get an 8" mitersaw just for this.

I've never had want for the wide capacity a 12" slider affords. But I'm no pro, and acknowledge that many people find tremendous value in one.

Short answer: NO not really!

A 10" miter saw will do everything the 8.5" chop saw will do. Why bother?
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I've never had want for the wide capacity a 12" slider affords.
    AFAIK, 12" models have barely any more width capacity than 10", it's the thickness capacity that's greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    I don't have data to back it up, but have always heard that smaller blades are more precise, less wobble / deflection. Makes sense on the surface.

For the space-challenged, like me, the marginally smaller 8.5" is a big plus.

Also, the lightness of such a saw is a huge for me, since I would use mine more if I could transport it back and forth between my 'shops'.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Lindley View Post
    Short answer: NO not really!

I disagree. Just because bigger will (or might) do "the same job" doesn't mean bigger is better. A 20 inch bandsaw will cut nice circles in 1 inch stock, if you put the right blade on it and set it up for it. But in my view, a 14 inch (or even a 12 or 10) is the better tool for the job, for many reasons. Leaving it set up for smaller work is sensible, it takes up a lot less room, and it costs less money. All these things allow for other tools and other space etc. Plus I happen to think a saw that is much bigger than needed can be clunky on a smaller job than the saw is "capable of".

I have a 7 1/4 inch SCMS. I could easily have purchased a top of the line 12 inch model (in fact I also own a 10 and 12 inch CMS). I prefer the small one, for my most typical needs.

So my answer would be, it depends on the kind of work you do, the kind (and amount) of space you have, your budget, and your personal style of woodworking.

Blog Entries
    Hatachi makes an 8" (8 1/2"?) SCMS thats pretty highly regarded amoung trim carpenters.

I bought a 10". No regrets.

PHM

I have a 12" slider....I regret it...the thing ways something like 75lbs and I very seldom need the capacity. There is a good chance that someday I'll trade it in for a 8.5" slider or a 10" chop.

The weight isn't a big deal when you leave it setup in the shop...but when you want to move it cause you're doing trim work or in my case wood siding it sucks.

Also I'm looking at building cabinets on one wall in my shop and the thing is 36" deep. So I either have to build really deep cabinets, not include it, or make some kind of folding support and fence system.

98% of the time the smaller saw will be fine, and it will be cheaper, more compact, lighter and just plain convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Wheeler View Post
    I am slowly trying to put together a shop. I was wondering if anyone would find an 8 1/2" miter saw very useful if planning to have a 10 and 12 inch miter saw and a radial arm saw. Also, portability is no concern or issue.

Thanks,
    Eric
    No, not that I could see. HOWEVER - what would be VERY useful to me would be the luxury of enough shop space to have 3 miter saws plus a RAS. That's what we call tall cotton in these parts.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I have the 8 1/2" Hitachi for breaking down long boards so I can cut them on the table saw without removing my Incra fence. I also used it the other day to make tomato stakes out of some old pressure-treated 2x4's. I cut them to length on the Hitachi, ripped them on the table saw, and cut points on them with the miter saw. I got the Hitachi for space considerations. It's compact enough to be really portable but will still cut a board almost 12 inches wide at 90 degrees.

I have an old Craftsman (B&D) 8 1/2 in miter saw. I prefer it over my 12" slider for cutting small moldings. I used to use it to cut pen blanks, until I got a bandsaw. Thinking back, if I had gotten a 10" slider (if they had them back then) that might have been my only miter saw today. I also have a table saw and ras and 2 track saws. My feeling is although you might not need a tool, you can always find a use for it.

I'm in it for the fun and therefore feel you can't have too many of anything, as long as you can find room for it. Why else would I have bought (one of very few used tools in the shop) a "Radial Miter Saw"?

Ok, lots of opinions/ideas. Normally would be nice, but now I think I am more confused. LOL. Everyone has good reasons for what they feel is better setups. So, I guess I will try this again, but explaining more specifics of my needs this time. I have no real idea of what I would be using this shop for, besides general woodwork. But I want a shop setup and then a portable setup. So I don't need portable shop equipment. I just bought a used 10" CMS, but don't necessarily need to keep it. So if I were to have a 12" RAS, a table saw, and a panel saw, what would be good additions as far as miter saws? I like the points made that the 8" would be more accurate due to less blade flex/wobble. RAS should get me my high capacity when needed. Would a 10 and/or 12 inch CMS be useful? Someone mentioned the idea of wanting 3 CMS and RAS, but I could have 3 8" if the 10 or 12 wouldn't be much use. So more ideas guys...

Thanks Again,
    Eric
    Eric Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    I have an old Craftsman (B&D) 8 1/2 in miter saw. I prefer it over my 12" slider for cutting small moldings. I used to use it to cut pen blanks, until I got a bandsaw. Thinking back, if I had gotten a 10" slider (if they had them back then) that might have been my only miter saw today. I also have a table saw and ras and 2 track saws. My feeling is although you might not need a tool, you can always find a use for it.

I'm in it for the fun and therefore feel you can't have too many of anything, as long as you can find room for it. Why else would I have bought (one of very few used tools in the shop) a "Radial Miter Saw"?

You musta posted this while I was typing my last post. I feel the EXACT same way, I am wanting most of this stuff for the fun of owning it...kinda like a collection if you will. Cool RMS, btw...looks like it prolly was the original sliding miter saw
    Eric Wheeler