Thread: Walnut (and other) Supplier in SoCal

Blog Entries

Walnut (and other) Supplier in SoCal

I'm in the Inland Empire and have been using Reel Lumber, Riverside due to convenience and selection. As of late their walnut supply seems to consist of the same boards I've passed on the last 3 or 4 visits. I was going to take a run to their Anaheim location but thought I'd see if anyone has recently been to a yard that they liked.

I am aware of Bohnoff in L.A. and Austin in Santa Ana. I have not made it to Petermann's yet. Any of you in the Riverside, Perris, Corona, Temecula, San Berdoo, Ontario, etc. areas have other yards that have worked out for you?

TIA
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So Cal Lumber

Strata Forest Products
    2600 S. Susan St
    Santa Ana

Well McBeath Hardwoods used to have a yard in Perris - but I just checked their web site and it seems to have dissapeared, shame.

Glenn,

I went to Petermann years ago. At that time there prices were very high. Prior to going, I was told to complain about the price, and they would give you a better deal. I did complain about the price, and the sales guy gave me a better price per board foot.

Kelley Wright, in Anaheim is good to deal with and has good prices. The only problem is you can not select your wood. You place your order, and they pull it for you.

Lane Stanton Vance, in Walnut is also good. You can select your wood. Prices are OK.

Sam

Answer Wood Products

They are in Rancho Cucamonga off of the I -15. 9272 Hyssop Dr. Call 909-532-8000 for directions.

Orange Coast Hardwoods and Strata Forest are my two main suppliers and I just bought some beautiful clear Walnut a month or so ago. Orange Coast is actually a sister company of Strata -- they are open on Saturdays making it more convenient for me since I cannot always make it to Strata during the week.

Scot

Cool Well, since you asked...

I have an untouched pallet load of 4/4 walnut boards. Should be around 800 board feet. Lengths from about 8-10', widths from around 8" up to probably some at 14+". Since you're a creekster, you can pick through it at $4.50 or take the whole thing for $3.75 per foot. I'm not too far from you, next to Pasadena, and you'd probably enjoy seeing the exotics (cocobolo, ziricote, mahogany, etc.) and the shop.
    Let me know if you have any interest.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

If you want to drive a little bit farther south, I've had good luck at Saroyan Lumber Company in San Marcos. They are one of the few places I know of that will still sell rough lumber (although they did need to bring it down from their main store in Huntington Park.) The last purchase I made from them was 4/4 Select and Better Cherry which I think I paid about $4.50 a B/F for. They did a great job of picking all very good pieces for me when they put the bundle together in Huntington Park so I had no complaints. I've just started on the project I bought it for and I'm still very happy with the purchase.

They are located at:

999 Linda Vista Dr. Suite A
    San Marcos, CA 92078
    760-736-9337

Mark

Hi Glenn,

Not too far from Austin is another place called Weber Plywood. They have hardwoods as well. I've only been there once to see what they had.

http://www.weberply.com/
    15501 Mosher Avenue, Tusin
    (714) 259-1100

Tracy

Lane and Stanton in San Marcos accross from Palomar College has a good selection

Try Bohnhoff Lumber, south of downtown LA. I used to get most of my hardwood stock from them when I lived there.

Bohnhoff Lumber
    3411 E 26th St
    LA CA 90023
    323 263 9361
    J D Thomas
    ThomaStudios