Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sq drive screws - ???

sq drive screws - ???

Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips? Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?

Dave

Ive been using square drive screws for several years now. I buy them from Hartville Hardware(Hartville Tool). I cant comment on the ones from McFeeleys, but I can tell you that they are (square drive) much better in my opinion than phillips screws. They dont slip like phillips when driving or removing. I wont ever use phillips again.
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Here in Canada, we almost exclusively square drive screws. Because they "stick" to the driver more than Philips I find you can load them onto a driver and then insert the screw into its hole with the driver attached -- of course, not completely, but more so than the Philips screws. In my mind this makes the square drive easier and faster to use.

The innovation of the Philips screw was to allow the drive to cam out instead of stripping the head when the screw was fully inserted. However today even cheap drivers have a torque limiting clutch mechanism which means that its OK to use a snug fitting head such as the square head.
    Last edited by Phillip Ngan; 08-18-2010 at 4:22 PM.

Dave,

Square drive is a huge improvement over phillips IYAM... square drive make the bit stay put better than phillips. Some say star drive is the way to go though.

I got tired of running to HD/Lowes for screws that often break. I shopped at McFeely's website. I now have tons of screws! They have a nice assortment of 5lbs or 10lbs of screws that I use for utilitarian things, like hanging shelves/cabinets in the shop. I got one of their nice screw sets that come with the plastic bins, that I intend to make a nice storage cabinet for...

IIRC, Lowes/HD only have the deck screws in square drive. McFeely's gives you many options in material & finish for your screws... others like the Highpoint brand too...

There are two "square drive" screw systems.

The original (and best) is the Canadian Robertson screw. It has a slight taper to the screwdriver tip and screw recess.

The second best is the "square drive" which doesn't seem to have any taper, and often the screws and bits are of inferior material/precision when compared to the Robertson design.

That said, the worst square drive is better than the best Philips.

Regards, Rod.

I prefer square drive screws. Like the others have said, they stick to the driver by themselves, don't tend to strip out, and are far easier to drive since there's no need to "lean into" the driver to keep it from popping out of the screw head.

McFeely's screws are as a rule better than most of the stuff at HD - with the exception (IMHO) of the Deckmate screws and the Spax screws - but not just because of the head style.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lame View Post
    Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips?
    Yes

Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?
    Yes

Try a sample pack, you'll never go back. I use slot and phillips where appropriate for decorative purposes only. All functional fasteners are high quality square drive whenever possible. I did hear once about someone breaking one but I can't imagine what he was trying to do ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I love when people say Roberson screws are better than McFeely's. I've heard it before and seen this before also. The first time was a number of years ago, and most recently a few months ago.

"McFeely's Square Drive Screws
    Daniel,

I think you may have misunderstood our claims. We actually work with the Robertson company and have since our inception. They're one of our biggest suppliers and I think they would tell you that we've done as much as anyone to market the square drive screw in the US.

Also, our #8 x 2-1/2" FSL screw (standard dry lube, square drive) is less than $7 per box.

Again, I'm not sure how we got off on the wrong foot but we're by no means trying to claim that we're the original source of these items.

Give me a call if you'd like to discuss. I've been with the company since 1997 and I'm a straight-shooter.

Ron Pegram at 608-662-3317. "

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    There are two "square drive" screw systems.

The original (and best) is the Canadian Robertson screw. It has a slight taper to the screwdriver tip and screw recess.

The second best is the "square drive" which doesn't seem to have any taper, and often the screws and bits are of inferior material/precision when compared to the Robertson design.

That said, the worst square drive is better than the best Philips.

Regards, Rod.
    Yeah, there is a big difference between knock offs and the real deal with both the Robertson/square and real Philips II and their copies. Most people have never used real Philips II screws and bits, they are a big step up from the knock offs. BTW, Philips screw were originally designed for manufacturing and supposed to cam out easily when set.

The one thing I'd mention about McFeely's is that they're going to more and more items made over seas. I've noticed more combo drive screws lately and I'd guess that's because they're cutting costs by not paying Roberson.

I use nothing but square drive. I like the square X kind. I can use square drive in the shop but someone can use a Philips if needed in the future. Most homeowners do not own a square driver.

I get them from a local Rockler store.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...&filter=screws
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Burrell View Post
    The one thing I'd mention about McFeely's is that they're going to more and more items made over seas. I've noticed more combo drive screws lately and I'd guess that's because they're cutting costs by not paying Roberson.
    Unlike Robertson's manufacturing plant in China;

128 Jingjia Ave.
    Jiashan Economic Development Zone
    Jiaxing, Zhejiang,
    China 314100

http://www.robertsonscrew.com/index.html

Maybe that's where McFeely is getting there imports from????
    Last edited by Will Overton; 08-18-2010 at 4:28 PM.

Another vote for Mcfeely's SD screws. Load up on a variety of sizes. I did several years ago, and still have enough to last for years to come.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lame View Post
    Another novice question.

McFeeleys makes a big deal out of their "wonderful" square drive screws. Are they a substantial improvement over phillips? Are screws from McFeeleys better than HD or Lowes?

Dave
    Yes I believe they are much better than phillips and/or torx. The square drive will not strip out and the fit onto the driver bit is tight enough to put the screw on this bit without fear of it falling off. The Stainless and brass are a little softer than the hardened steel. The only problem I have had with them is snapping the head off every once in a while. When I use screws, I almost always use square drive stainless steel or brass. The seller listed below is a little cheaper than McFeeleys

http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/de...crews_flathead
    Last edited by Mark Woodmark; 08-18-2010 at 5:35 PM.