Thread: First pen

First pen

Well, actually, it was my second attempt. I had a catch on the first one just as I was finishing turning it and it went too deep to repair. Sure hope I get faster at this, although I think preparing the blanks from scrap walnut took longer than the turning.

Well Carole, That's as good, if not better than my first pen and I think mine was pretty good.

Was it fun, even with the catch?

Bet it was!

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. It sure was fun! I am going toinvent some sort of hands free method of applying that darned CA glue though! I also need to find a good source for pen kits and maybe some blanks (I only have walnut and white oak scraps) I got the kits I have from Woodcraft, but they were fairly expensive.

Are you talkin' about the CA to glue the tubes to the wood or CA as a finish?

Penn States Industries has pen kits at less money. I put some of their slimline kits together at their Turnathon for FFP. They are not quite as good as Woodcrafts, but they work and they are cheeper. Check their web site.

BTW, I believe that woodcraft cuts the price on ten packs.

Bruce

pens

Hi, Carole, Try wearing surgical type gloves when applying CA. A small square of wax paper will also do. I love the pen kits from Berea Hardwoods and their tech. is a good man to ask advise. Phil
    Philip

Very nice Carole, speed will come with practice. Give Ryan a call at Woodturningz.com and tell him I asked him to help ya out. Some of the best prices around.

Again that is a very nice pen Carole.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Carole, you might try www.arizonasilhouette.com for pen kits and blanks. Their slimline kits start at $1.49. I'm just a satisfied customer. Tom

Are we having fun yet?

Pen turning is very addictive and very fun. There are a myriad of beautiful pen kits and beautiful woods and other materials from which to turn pens.

Craft Supplies USA (woodturnerscatalog.com) has a wide variety of pens and woods. I like their service.

I'm sure there are other turners who will tell you of additional sources.

Personally I prefer using polyurethane glue for gluing in the tubes. Just be sure to wear gloves cause it doesn't come off your hands with soap and water.

Have fun! Be sure to wear eye protection when using CA to finish pens. CA and eyeballs are a bad, BAD combination. Guaranteed trip to the emergency room.
    Last edited by Michael Stafford; 12-11-2004 at 8:35 AM. Reason: afterthought
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Darn it, Carole, I have resisted starting with pens cause I just know I will screw it up. You have to go and make me feel inferior. I may have to try it. I sure would like to be turning for the FPP.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Don't do it Don! Run! Save yourself! Not because you might screw up...you won't...but because if you start doing these addictive little things, life as you know it will never be the same again. I am already trying to figure out how I can shift appointments so I can stay home and turn on Monday rather than going to work!

SHHHHHHHHHHHH Carole - Don't tell him that. WE got another one on the string.

HEHE

Bruce

Carole!

Gotch - Hook, Line & Sinker! Actually Mandrel, Blank & Kit!

Very addictive, you may need to start selling some of the pens to support your habit!

Great First (second) Pen! I am sure it won't be your last!

Don, from the older projects you've (kid's tops, etc.) penturning will be an aboslute breeze for you! Can't wait to see one you do!
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt