Thread: Carpentry Shop, Nazareth Palestine ca 1945

Carpentry Shop, Nazareth Palestine ca 1945

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Very nice. I particularly like the mounds of shavings on the floor.

Bob, thanks for the great picture. Lots & lots of bow saws.

Joe

Very interesting. I also noticed the plethora of bow saws.

Hmm. How you reach that saw all the way at the top?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Only the tall guys can use the top bow saw!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

I think you give it a poke with one of the big bowsaws and then catch it while avoiding the teeth.

I scanned it from an old bible because the tools haven't changed much from Roman times. Neither has their paucity.

In addition to the saws, if you blow up the photo you'll see fewer than six chisels...at least one appears to be a mortise chisel....two bow drills.....one extended-reach bar clamp....one large panel gage...a large mallet....a jointer and five smaller planes.....a rack of try squares in graduated sizes...a few compass/dividers...a couple marking/utility knives....and a mortise gage.

Although he's preparing rough-sawn stock in the photo....and I can't see inside the rack of shelves on the right....I don't see much evidence he used glue.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Nice architecture. I would feel inspired to build something nice with a high, well lit workspace like that.

Blog Entries
    I scanned it from an old bible because the tools haven't changed much from Roman times. Neither has their paucity.
    Neither has that bench, it looks like it may have been used to repair a few chariot wheels.

Thanks for sharing,

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mr. Smalser, how are the stretchers fastened to the legs? The scan is fuzzy enough that I can't see too many details. Are those bolt heads or through tenons?

Quote Originally Posted by Harlan Barnhart View Post
    Mr. Smalser, how are the stretchers fastened to the legs? The scan is fuzzy enough that I can't see too many details. Are those bolt heads or through tenons?
    Bolts. Just like my father's old bench.