Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router table track position, if at all?

Router table track position, if at all?

I'm nearing the finish line on my extension/router table project. I had been planning to put in a t-track/mitre slot and did some searching on the preferred distance from the bit. I've seen recommendations everywhere from 6" to 10", including a lot of comments that it's better to not have one at all.

So, what do you guys think?
    Last edited by Cliff Holmes; 08-19-2010 at 3:01 PM.

Timely question. I'm building my table now and was planning to place one 6" from the bit.

I'll be interested to hear from the folks who say it's better not to have one. I could see it being useless, but what's the downside?

I certainly wouldn't say it's useless. I find it very handy for featherboards and jigs, such as a coping sled. Mine is 6" (Woodpecker's table) and that seems to work well.

I put a miter track in my router table. It is 6" from the edge of the router plate opening, and is enough clearance to use the miter gauge for squaring rail/stile door component ends. I would not be without the track.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I'm thinking "Moment Arm"

Which of course also begs the question: Why only one sot?
    Wouldn't it be useful to have two slots that are parallel so that they'd support a real sled set up?
    Sleds and jig mounts using two slots tend to be very stable.
    Last edited by Cliff Rohrabacher; 08-20-2010 at 10:14 AM.

I use mine for:
    Featherboards
    Miter guage for small pass non-through cuts such as collars for a square table leg using a chamfer bit.

I knew if I didn't include one I would be sorry. For the feather boards alone it is worth it.

-Brian

I am a fan of slots in router tables, they are so useful not sure why one would not have one. Mine are about 6-8 inches from the fence and seems to work fine.

I got it on my first table router table top & use it very little. It ended up trapping router dust most of the time. I think it's also weaken the top a bit. When I made my second top, I left it out & don't really miss it. For feather boards (I use brushes), I just clamp them to the front of the table.

i'm not a fan of slots in the router table. i do have a steel table so i use mag switches for things that need to be stationary (i.e. feather boards and such).

No slot on mine either. I haven't found a need for it yet. If I needed something to ride on a straight line and my Incra fence wouldn't do it, I'd make an adjustable sled that would ride on the edge of the table. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Blog Entries
    I put mine the same distance from the bit center as my tablesaw slot is from the blade center. This way many jigs, feather boards and other fixtures can be used on both.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-19-2010 at 8:36 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I put mine the same distance from the bit center as my tablesaw slot is from the blade center
    That is so blindingly obvious ...

I have one about 6" from the bit center line. Don't use it a lot but have found it handy for feather boards on pieces larger than an inch or so. I have a vertical feather board on the infeed and exit side of the bit so on smaller trim pieces I don't use the horizontal one. Have a push block that holds the trim against the fence for this.

Not sure if I would put one in if I had it to do over again or not. Hmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Timely question. I'm building my table now and was planning to place one 6" from the bit.

I'll be interested to hear from the folks who say it's better not to have one. I could see it being useless, but what's the downside?
    The only downside I see is that the groove in the router table makes the tabletop less strong, and maybe more prone to warp.. Obviously, this can be worked around.. Other than that, just the time to do it.

I didn't put one on mine, but I think the primary use for it would be a miter slot feather board.

I've used the table top I built with a slot about 8" away from bit for 10 years but.. going to build a new top in down-time tween projects in the next few days. I intend to put the track as close to the outside front of table as I can. Why? I use a spring-board with slots that 1/4" bolts go through and screw into a miter bar in lieu of a feather-board to secure work tightly to the fence.

The farther away I put it from the bit the wider the stock I can use if for with the spring-board. Some cases it simply can't be used even then as I do a lot of large carcass pieces so it's use would be limited to stock about 13"-15" wide. BTW.. I have never used a miter guage in a router table track in 39 years but I would not be without it's use as described.

Good luck...
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler