View Poll Results: Which of these do you like best and why.

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • Woodsmith

76 55.07%
  • Wood

62 44.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've narrowed it down to one of these two magazines. Your choice?

I've narrowed it down to one of these two magazines. Your choice?

If you have a preference for one of the above over the other, please vote and let me know why. I really consider myself a beginning + woodworker. So Fine Woodworking is a little beyond me right now, and stand alone furniture in general is not really where my interests reside. I like ShopNotes, but it's too much about jigs to me.
    As a side note, let me know if you purchase magazines from the publisher direct, or if you use a discount house (and which one) on the internet to save a couple dollars, and even if they have worked well for you, or cost you time and money because they don't deliver. TIA!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

For me I would have a hard time between the two and thus didn't vote. The two mags I wouldn't do without are the two you didn't want. I think FWW is the best (not perfect) but it is the one I learn from and it inspires me. Shop Notes is maybe my favorite it has saved me more TIME than any other magazine.

Since we are talking magazines I think the FWW DVD with all the magazines on one DVD is an EXCELLENT resource and although pricey at $150 but I use mine all the time and my wife loves it... no magazine clutter!

I personally like Woodsmith better. I think it is a little more advanced than Wood.

Wood Magazine

I've never even seen Woodsmith. But I've gotten Wood Magazine for many years now and still have almost every issue. I also get This Old House and Fine Woodworking. It's not as snobby or advanced as you might think from the name. I also used to get Popular Woodworking and American Woodworker but I've let those lapse. Way too many piles laying around.

So - I'd recommend Wood or Woodsmith and Fine Woodworking.

My impression is that Woodsmith by and large has more attractive projects. Wood offers a lot of pretty tacky little projects that I wouldn't have in my house. But I never make projects from magazines. Mostly they have been too dumbed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    If you have a preference for one of the above over the other, please vote and let me know why. I really consider myself a beginning + woodworker. So Fine Woodworking is a little beyond me right now, and stand alone furniture in general is not really where my interests reside. I like ShopNotes, but it's too much about jigs to me.
    As a side note, let me know if you purchase magazines from the publisher direct, or if you use a discount house (and which one) on the internet to save a couple dollars, and even if they have worked well for you, or cost you time and money because they don't deliver. TIA!!! Jim.
    Jim, I doubt Fine Woodworking is beyond your level - its my favorite magazine. My second fav is Woodsmith.

For beginning woodworking I would go with WOOD. It is a magazine that seems to hit most subjects in woodworking as well as tool reviews.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I subscribe to Woodsmith and I'm subscribed to FWW online Jim. They both are very good. I also buy Popular Woodworking from time to time. For what it's worth I like FWW online the best because of all the archived info.
    Teaching grandchildren the hobby is rewarding. Most of the time

I'm subscribed to Wood.
    Last year my grandson had some magazine subscription thingie going on and Wood was the only one offered that I had an interest in.
    It's ok I guess.
    It does have a lot of little projects that I can't ever see myself making...
    However..
    I do gain something out of the techniques used to create those little projects, so, I guess there's some value there.

Wood offers a lot of pretty tacky little projects that I wouldn't have in my house
    LOL!
    Unlike Shop Notes - which offers a lot of pretty tacky little projects which I would have in my shop!

Shop Notes rocks.

Jim,
    It depends what you are looking for. WoodSmith is pretty much all about projects. A great feature is that if they use a particular joint or technique, they usually have a separate 'how to' article on how too accomplish it. There is no advertising and is conveniently designed to store in a binder. Without all the ads, they don't take up so much room.

Wood has a wider range of projects, some real simple and some a little more complex. What I used to like about Wood was learning what new tools and accessories were about to hit the market. They still put a lot of ink to paper on those subjects, but with the internet, it's usually old news by the time they publish. As for tool reviews, I don't know if they are biased by advertising or not, but my experience with tools they review is often very different than what they write.

If I had to pick one, and was primarily looking to learn woodworking, it would be WoodSmith. But, I do read both.

From Wood

From Woodsmith

Have you eliminated Popular Woodworking?

Of the magazines i get, I like Popular Woodworking the best and you can find some pretty attractive deals on subscriptions. Wood magazine might hold more interest for beginners but I found it to grow stale rather quickly. Only thing with Pop Woodworking is they spend time & ink on hand tools. That may be to your liking or not. Of your two choices I'd go with Woodsmith.

Why not consider Popular Woodworking. Kind of a cross between FWW and Woodsmith. But of your two, I'd go with Woodsmith. It is a teaching journal.

I actually get both of them, and FWW. I am a beginner too, but I prefer FWW out of all them even though much of it is beyond my skill level. Of the two you listed I can't really decide. I get alot of my magazines from the link below. This will search many of the low price magazine websites. I have listed it with FWW as I got a subscription for 18 dollars which is about 50% less than any other place I could find. They don't have woodsmith, but they do have a wood subscription for two years for $20 dollars.

Good luck with the decision.

http://www.magazinepricesearch.com/d...%20woodworking

I like Woodsmith. When I started out, I went with Wood cause it was the only one I could find. Then I picked up a copy of Woodsmith. I like it cause there's fewer advertisements and more woodworking. Most of the time, what they're selling is out of my price range anyway....Whether it's how to's or the actual projects, I like the way their plans are drawn up. But that's just me

I subscribe to Wood, although I like Woodsmith too.

Wood is trying something new, starting this month. They are trying to get readers to submit their ideas to publish. Like this month, they had a bread tray with bowls on it.. Now I probably won't make that project, but it's nice that they are making an effort to freshen things up a little bit.

Just about every month, Wood will have a "basic tool" project, which is kind of designed for the guy with only a circular saw, router, and a few clamps.. I don't particularly like those articles, but it's good for very beginners.