Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No $$$$ - But had a good time!

No $$$$ - But had a good time!

Last night was my first public "gathering" - a reception at our local art guild at which I was one of the featured artists. Lots of Ooohs and Ahhhs, but no money!! I really didn't expect any sales - this is a relatively small community and certainly not a center for the arts!

But, it did give me the experience of mingling with folks as an "artist" and not a lawyer. I knew 95% of the people that came, and I think nearly all of them came because they couldn't believe it was me!!

So, I suspect a lot were just curious - but, everyone was very complimentary of my work.

Had a good time, and gave me some feel for what these events are like.

BTW, Ms. Keeton thought it was fun to take my pic between two normal sized guys! Actually, they are each 8'3", and I am 6'4"!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (97.8 KB, 190 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (103.1 KB, 178 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (107.2 KB, 190 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (84.1 KB, 230 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (93.8 KB, 208 views)

2. Famous statement in the Art Community

"Why darling, haven't you gotten your Keeton yet?"

I predict in the world of Art collectors, that the "Keeton Collection" will become all the rage, and THE one to have a piece of.

It might take a bit of time to gain some notoriety in those circles, but you can't stop the sun from rising, nor a rising star!

Fantastic John! Looks like a wonderful gathering and a lot of fun. Tell Mrs. K. we appreciate her being the shutter bug for this most auspicious event.

That is a really nice display of your work, John. It deserved no less!

No doubt when the right people come through you will have some sells.
    The products are to unique not to sell.
    Suffice it to say,Ms. Keeton got the runt of the litter.

Blog Entries

No $$$

Having been to a number of these I still remember the first one. It is a memorable experience and I share your joy and enthusiasm. I think I sold a piece, not sure, I will need to ask my wife. The $$ I guess are not the main thing. Probably like you I don't do it for the money, fortunately.
    David Woodruff

If you don't know where you're going, it doesn't matter how you get there.

John,
    You gave a great explanation of your guild reception. Having been know mostly as a heavy equipment contractor/operator for decades, and usually covered in dirt, grease and/or deisel fuel, it was interesting how my friends viewed me and my results creating modest utility items on the lathe. Yes, my friends who thought of me and my industry as somewhat crude have come to embrace my "stuff". And the more than 180 sales in a couple of years has softened the "blow" to my feelings.
    By the way John, despite the fact that you are also a lawyer, Keeton's Korner is always my first visit on the turning forum. And did you know that they sell elavator shoes for the height challenged?

Thanks, guys, for your encouraging comments!! I did have a lot of fun, though starting at 5 pm, no supper, and winding up at 9 pm was probably not the best of plans!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby lynn View Post
    Suffice it to say,Ms. Keeton got the runt of the litter.
    Bobby, she felt sorry for me! Besides, ain't the runt of the litter always the cutest?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    And did you know that they sell elavator shoes for the height challenged?
    Fred, you missed the part about those guys being 8'3"!!!!

Looks like a fun event. Good luck with you future sales.

Alan

I'm glad you had an enjoyable time. Let's see... A small case of the nerves, no solid food, and all the wine you can drink? I want to see the photos Mrs. Keeton took of you with the lampshade on your head!

Congratulations on the first of many!

Monsieur Artiste! Où est votre béret?
    Only the Blue Roads

Looks like a good time was had by all especially you John.

By the way I thought you told me you were 6' 6"???
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on it all John. Don't worry about the height, Look at the shape you are in compared to the other two and as long as your feet reach the ground all is okay. I can say this because we are the same height. I wish I had the same amount of hair and talent as you.

Awright. That's it. I'm growin' my hair long. And I'm getting a law degree too.

I have to say that, while I'm happy to see you getting recognition for your superb efforts, that does not look like a "proper venue" for your work. I know you have to start somewhere but your stuff belongs in a gallery in NY or SF. Your work is "world class" and needs to be presented in a much "bigger pond". I hope this does not sound like I'm being denigrating here because that is not my intent at all. I just think your work belongs in some place like the Renwick. It's that good.
    David DeCristoforo

John - sure looks like you enjoyed yourself! Please be sure to thank your wife for taking all the photos!

You just never know about sales - someone could always come back later and pick something up or even get in touch with you for a commissioned piece! The big thing is that you put yourself out there as an artist - and had fun!

Thanks for sharing your evening with us!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

YA, how did you get Dolly to take all those pictures?

the first of many i hope