Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk to me about Radial Arm Saws

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Ludden View Post

What should I be keeping my eye out for?
    A miter saw.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I have an old DeWalt RAS that I bought used about 10 years ago. A very nice machine to use as long as it is setup properly. I do most of my cross cutting now with a Makita sliding miter saw though, but prefer the RAS for grooves because the height adjustment is much more solid.
    Steve Garrison

One of the woodworking magazines (I think it was Wood Magazine) did a review on radial arm saws in the early 90s. Craftsman was one of the top-rated saws. I opted to go with the SCM at the time. I will look tomorrow and see if I can find the review.
    Paul

Originally Posted by Lee Ludden
    What should I be keeping my eye out for?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    A miter saw.
    A miter saw won't mount a dado set!

I was the proud owner of a Sears 10" RAS, bought new, in 1977, until last year. Once set up and adjusted, it crosscut accurately! But, I dared not move it off it's perfect 90 deg. setting. Once moved, it had to be dialed in again completely. Not a versitile or fun machine. The 3/4" hp motor barely had enough power IF I babied it through 4/4 oak.

I replaced the Sears with a Delta 33-790 12" RAS and never looked back. It is lightyears ahead of all but the oldest CI Craftsman RASs. Keep a lookout for a Rockwell/Delta 12" RAS (single-phase motor) and you won't regret it.

Sears did (IMO) sell one keeper 12" (Industrial) RAS. Not made by Emerson of aluminum, but made by DeWalt (model 7790) of CI. Quite a saw! I've seen these at bargain prices on CL. Keep your eye out!

Sears version was identical black, except had "Craftsman Industrial" on the arm.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 08-22-2010 at 8:09 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

I wish I knew which Craftsman model I had...bought it back sometime in the 70's. I know it was one of their larger/better models offered at that time. All I can remember is that big aluminum handle on it. Anyway, I'm sure I slapped it together, checked it for square, and started cutting. Never looked back. Don't remember if I ever cussed it out for not doing an accurate job or not. I do know I'd like to get one for my new shop, would like to find an old Delta/Dewalt/Rockwell of course. I sold the Craftsman to a close friend, don't know if he still has it cause we haven't talked about it for years. I should stop by or call him to see if he still has it. Quite honestly I'd be more than willing to buy it back just to check it out! Hmmmm, think I will. Greg

another Craftsman

I have a Craftsman I bought new in the late 70's. Converted it to 220 about 20 years ago. Still going strong and is a great saw.

I have been seeing a lot of the Dewalt 770 (or is it 7770). How do these compare?

The 10" seem most common with the 12" being far more rare (and expensive).

in addition to the dewalts, check for unipoints, there are some older small ones out there every now and then. i would consider those superior, actually. every now and then a 30+ year old one shows up on exfactory or similar sites for around 1k, if you can find an old monarch model from before the northfield buyout, probably even less than 500 (i got mine for 300).