Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats on your walls?

1/2 ply from HD that has the "Sandable" side around 19 bucks a sheet. Used 3/8 rock on the ceilings and painted everything off white with a Sears brand at 7 bucks a gallon.

I was going to use 1/4 ply on the ceiling since it's lighter but 13 bucks compared to 6 it was the rock. I didn't tape or mud. It's a workshop in a detached garage so who cares if it's taped.

Don

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Christopher View Post
    OSB painted white and a few meal signs
    For those occasional snacks without going back in the house.

The interior of my shop is clad with 5/8" type-X dry wall, painted white. This is as much for ease of construction as for fire protection of adjacent spaces. I figure that if I need to fasten stuff to the walls, I can use French cleats secured to the studs. The studs are 16" oc everywhere, and I know right where they are. My only regret is that I had an electrician wire the place and he used non-metalic cable (Romex). Were I to do it over, I'd put the electric on the surface in EMT.

I have a 24 by 36 shop and 3 walls are all pegboard, the other wall is OSB. The pegboard is full, I have no room to hang anything else.
    Larry, AKA Uncle Fester

Garage shop, plywood walls and ceiling, left natural.

My shop walls are 3/8" maple ply. Sheetrock wasn't an option for me, just a personal issue, so I had planned to use ACX fir plywood. At the time, sheetrock was near an all time high price, and my plywood dealer had the maple ply for a buck or two more per sheet than sheetrock. Looks great, is durable and is light enough in color where I don't need lights during the day. I would probably do it again even at a considerably higher cost than sheet rock. There's a lot of things you can fasten directly to 3/8" plywood, and the maple looks much better than AC fir.

I have 1/2" plywood on the walls and wished I had used that on the ceiling too.

Deciding to go cheaper when I went to ceiling I elected to use sheetrock. My ceilings are 10' and I still have dings. I wised I'd used plywood on the ceilings too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Plywood It Will Be

Thanks Ken;

I hung the first piece of plywood on a newly insulated wall today - heve the plywood for both walls and ceiling - but have been arguing with myself. You settled the argument - the ceiling will be plywood too.

Walt

I have poured walls on several of my basement walls ... 2x4 PT furring and 1/2" ply on some of the walls, I had some slatwall left over from my retail store, thats been pretty cool so far.

I used T1-11 siding on the inside of my shop. It is 19/32" thick with vertical grooves 8" on center. I think it looks great.