Thread: Housed Dovetails

Housed Dovetails

Does anyone have information on makiing a housed dovetail. Yesterday, I practiced making the female dado across the grain. I haven't read anything on making the male side. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Jim

Blog Entries
    Leaving the same bit at that height, but moving the fence back, run the male piece through on both edges. It will be to large - move the fence closer and do it again. Eventually, you'll find that it fits perfectly.

That said, I have a Porter Cable 4212 dovetail jig and even though I don't use it for regular dovetails, it works great for sliding dovetails like you speak.

Hi Don,

I should have said "making them using hand tools", sorry. I think I found my own answer. I have a Veritas Skew Rabbit Plane. Just tried it out on the male piece. It will work. Just need to fine tune the plane. Thanks again for your reply.

Regards,

Jim

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I mistakingly thought I was in "General Woodworking". Had I opened my eyes, I wouldn't have said anything.

I believe Derek has a good tutorial on his site for the housed or sliding dovetail. The female part can be saw/chisel out using a guide block, perhaps with the help with the router plane to flatten the bottom. For joints longer than a few inches, a tapered sliding dovetail is preferable or you more likely would have to use a mallet to fit them during glue up. The male part is cut with a dovetail plane. Derek also has a tutorial on converting a wooden rabbet to a dovetail plane.

Another SMC prior discussion on similar topic here
    Last edited by Tri Hoang; 08-23-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks Tri,

That's just what I needed!

I did a post about housed dovetails by hand. I didn't have a dovetail plane but I found using a chisel worked just fine.
    Take a look...

http://richardmagbanua.blogspot.com/...s-by-hand.html

Hope this helps!

ECE makes a wooden dovetail plane that works well for making the male portion of sliding dovetails.
    James

"Uke is always right."
    (Attributed to Ueshiba Morihei)