Thread: For Jet Jointer/Planer owners or others with tools

For Jet Jointer/Planer owners or others with tools

with small knobs that are hard to turn, here's something to consider. My Jet JJP-12's jointer infeed table locking knob was hard to operate. I tried chasing the threads but it really didn't help. The silly things are only about 1 3/4" diameter which didn't help. I was rummaging in a junk box and found a wheel I'd bought from Grizzly years ago and never used. Hmmmm, I took the PITA knob off and checked the threads 8 m.m. 1.25 pitch. As luck would have it, I have a metric tap & die set. Drilled the wheel out to the correct size and tapped it. MUCH better! Next time I'm at Grizzly or placing an order, I may get another wheel to match. Or, McMaster has something that would probably match.

I move the infeed table fairly frequently when changing between face jointing and edge jointing.The only time I move the outfeed table is when I change the knives which doesn't happen often so the second wheel would be more for appearance than function. Something to consider if you have machines with hard to operate locking knobs, or your grip isn't what it once was. The larger wheel made a huge difference in ease of operation, takes a few minutes and cheap if you have the appropriate tools.
    wheel1.JPG wheel2.JPG

Good tip, I don't know why all of the different manufactures always put little hand and knobs on things, I guess it a cost thing.

It would be nice if they would put actual wheels on things, rather than using those flimsy plastic knobs...

Such as on my Delta Bandsaw.... while the blade is tensioned, it is next to impossible to add tension, which often then requires constant guess and check...

Things are done cheaply these days... another example is the tension scale on BSs... 3/8s setting works for that and 3/4s... so it makes no sence... and if you try setting it according to that.... good luck pulling the tension lever...

MSC has all kinds of wheels and knobs that you can get. Some are fairly cheap.

Very good tip. McMaster Carr has a ton of wheels of all sorts, I always look at their site and get lots of ideas for projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Very good tip. McMaster Carr has a ton of wheels of all sorts, I always look at their site and get lots of ideas for projects.
    I agree with McMaster-Carr. Tons of neat toys, very reasonable shipping on small orders and I get my orders in one day (a warehouse in N.J.)