Thread: Shaper vs. Router Table

Shaper vs. Router Table

I was browsing the Delta website and it doesn't seem to be specific what the tools are used for. They have a shaper but don't saw anything about it, except specs...At one time I think I remember hearing that a shaper is really nothing more than a router table. Is this correct, or am I all mixed up?
    Eric Wheeler

I think this discussion has been beaten to death here at the creek, try searching shaper router table etc. or similar terms to find the old discussions. Truth is a router mounted in a table of sorts is nothing what a shaper is, especially an industrial one (3-5HP+). They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The average woodworker doesn't need a shaper while the average professional cabinet-maker can't live without one. Delta does sell a few but they aren't showing up on their website, try googling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peters View Post
    I think this discussion has been beaten to death here at the creek, try searching shaper router table etc. or similar terms to find the old discussions. Truth is a router mounted in a table of sorts is nothing what a shaper is, especially an industrial one (3-5HP+). They both have their advantages and disadvantages. The average woodworker doesn't need a shaper while the average professional cabinet-maker can't live without one. Delta does sell a few but they aren't showing up on their website, try googling it.
    Not sure why I didn't search it first, I'm usually very good about that...Just one of my tired random thoughts, and said hey, I think I'll post it an ask...sorry, it happens at times when I'm not completely coherent from sleep deprivation...
    Eric Wheeler

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Peters View Post
    I think this discussion has been beaten to death here at the creek

Or you could watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVSqu...ext=1&index=29

Shapers like the one in this video have much more power than a router- maybe 5-10 hp

Although, I think you have your answer a nothing more than a router table like a Kenworth T700 is nothing more than a Ford F150. One key to making the difference clear is understaning the power ratings for universal motors (routers) are different than induction motors (shapers), a 3hp beast of a router (PC 7518 for instance) might produce as much power as a 1hp induction motor, particularly when run at shaper speeds 10K and under.

In the end they are apples and oranges just like the F150/T700 analogy, each has things it does well and neither will cover the job of the other completely, except one of the few shapers that have high speed router spindles as an accessory.