Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Block Plane?

Which Block Plane?

Can someone recommend a block plane that won't break the bank. Primary use will be fine tuning tenon thickness. Veritas and Lie-Nielsen are nice but oh so expensive.

Larry

Is that for making wooden lunar modules?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post

block plane

A vintage Stanley 140 skew block plane would fit the bill. I had a nice one years ago and got low on money and sold it. Wish I had it back. The side is removable to get up close. It is not as user friendly as a 60 1/2" but what is.

Quote Originally Posted by john brenton View Post
    Is that for making wooden lunar modules?
    The government is the only one who could afford it. Well maybe not afford it, but buy several anyway.

A Stanley 140 would be very hard to find and if it was in good user condition, it would probably cost more than Lie Nielsen or Veritas.
    You might want to look at the LN 60 1/2R(rabbet block plane), Very nice plane. A wide shoulder plane is another option.

Larry, on another note, I knew a Larry Anderson when I lived in Yosemite National Park back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Does this happen to be you.

[QUOTE=Chris Vandiver;1497174]A Stanley 140 would be very hard to find and if it was in good user condition, it would probably cost more than Lie Nielsen or Veritas.

You are correct about the cost of the 140. I wasn't thinking. I bought mine in the 80's for $10. and sold it for $25ish. I be stupid.

You an make one like this pretty cheap if you have a few hardwood scraps and a blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

I think there is good value in an old Stanley 60 1/2. It's a low angle block, that the LN 60 1/2 is patterned after. You see used ones fairly often for about $25-45. You could even post a WTB in the classifieds. If you like the LN, but the cost is prohibitive, this is a decent alternative.

I had a Record 60 1/2, and it is a completely different plane, much worse, IMO than the Stanley.

A block plane isn't ideal for fine tuning tenon thickness though, unless you get a rabbetting one, and you then are back to your "won't break the bank" issue. To fine tune tenons, a router plane works very well too, and can also be had vintage, in the $35-65 range.
    Last edited by Ken Werner; 08-23-2010 at 9:52 PM.

You are most likely talking about rabbeting block planes. There aren't that many choices & their costs do not really favor older planes. If you must get one of these rabbeting block planes, go with the Veritas skew rabbet. It's price/performance is unbeatable.

I agree with Tri on the LV skew rabbet, if you can handle the price.

Larry, on another note, I knew a Larry Anderson when I lived in Yosemite National Park back in the late 1960's and early 1970's. Does this happen to be you.

Probably not, I came to Sonora in 1972.

I apologize if this is a dumb question but I ask only because I don't see you posting in the Neanderthal section much. What were your thoughts on sharpening the plane? I guess I just want to be sure you've budgeted for sharpening equipment (assuming you don't have any), and if you haven't maybe we can point you in the right direction. Scary sharp, in particular, because it's dirt cheap to get started.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    Jim,

Larry wanted one that wouldn't break the bank, that one would break Fort Knox.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Larry,

For inexpensive, I would have to agree with others that the router plane may be the way to go. Search here on SMC to find more information on that.

You could even make your own to start.

Another inexpensive option might be a wooden body rabbet plane.

An old shoulder plane is going to run a bit more and may require some tuning that can be tricky if one has not fettled a few planes already.

Some will also tell you that it is quite possible to trim a tenon with a chisel. They are right, it just takes a little time and a sharp chisel.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)