Thread: Are my wheels not co-planar?

Are my wheels not co-planar?

I got my big old blade running on my 14". It works like a charm. But I am having an issue with the guard. Its fine, at about halfway height and higher, but if I lower it beyond there, it begins to get cut into by the blade. So I have been running it a little high, which although a little less safe, is fine since I am always alert(I have seen woodworkers run them without guards, so I know its not deadly as long as you are careful.)

I dont know if its not co-planar, if thats the reason. Maybe I should add a washer to try and planar them up...

Ideas?

I have a 15 year old Delta 14" bandsaw that had the same problem. I added shim washers behind the upper bearing and the problem went away. It has run fine (at least as well as can be expected) ever since.

I guess Matt that in alignment terms (and presuming the wheels are flat discs, and the band is tracking consistently) there are at least several possible causes for your problem:

1. Wheels not coplanar. (vertically or horizontally)

2. Wheels and/or guide post and/or guards displaced horizontally relative to each other.

3. Guide post not vertical/not moving up/down in the same plane/track as the wheels/band.

4. Band tracking at different points on the tyres of each wheel. (band is tilted relative to the plane of the wheels)

ian

When you lower it into the proper position, are you able to then adjust the guide blocks (is this what is getting cut into?)?

So I have been running it a little high, which although a little less safe, is fine since I am always alert(I have seen woodworkers run them without guards, so I know its not deadly as long as you are careful.)
    You can lose fingers or even a hand in the blink of an eye on a bandsaw. And I bet a lot of people that lose fingers think of themselves as careful.

I keep all meaty bits 4in away from all sharp bits... Since I realize that my local butcher uses this to size my steaks....

Your guide bar is not aligned to the band. Something needs to move. Ideally you want to adjust the guide bar but not all 14" saws have an adjuster. If the band is running well on the wheels, I wouldn't move them except as a last resort. I'd be looking to either adjust or shim the guide bar bracket so the bar is absolutely parallel to the band.

Pete

Matt, how you are cutting is unsafe. There is a reason for the guard. I do not know the cause of your issue, but I would recommend not using the saw until you can lower the guard. I find it unlikely to ALWAYS be 4" from the blade. That would be an 8 x 8 inch no meat (as you put it) zone. That is probably close to most of your table...

All machines should be working properly when in use...not just close enough.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I am well awaye of the the safety factors... but when I get the guy to come over from Delta Factory Service, Ill ask him to take a look-see. Its fine for now...