Thread: Gloat and a Question

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Gloat and a Question

Based on Creekers' and my turning instructor's recommendations,
    I brought home a Woodcraft Slow Speed 8" Grinder (WSSG) this weekend.
    specifically for the Wolvrine Grinding Jig. (courtesy of the SMC Abysseration)

While doing the unthinkable "RTFI" I found that ONEWAY does not recommend a 1725 RPM grinder, stating it's "Too Slow" for their grinder..
    Wuzzup???
    The WSSG.worked in class?
    Haven't tried any tuning here at home.

Ant thoughts?

TIA
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Tyler I have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder with the wolverine jig and haven't had a lick of problems. Set it up buddy and give it a go.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Howl...........I have the Woodcraft slow speed grinder and it works just fine with the Wolverine system. I have all the options including their diamond dressing attachment.

It works well Tyler!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"ONEWAY does not recommend a 1725 RPM grinder, stating it's "Too Slow"..."

Bunk! It works great with a 1725 RPM grinder. Mine's a General not a WC but the jig does not give a hoot...
    David DeCristoforo

Hey Ty,

I recall that Oneway used to sell a Baldor machine which spun at 3400 +/-; and I couldn't find it just now on their site. I'll betcha that statement is a holdover from that point in time.

My crappy Ryobi spins at 3450 and I can't wait for it to die. When it does, I'll be going for the WC slow speed rig.

Big end-user difference between the speeds is control, experience, and how much steel you're willing to grind away.
    Only the Blue Roads

I think there are a few reasons Oneway was recommending the fast grinder, first this was for professional turners and grinding speed equates in time is money.
    The other thing was the use of the softer white grinding wheels, a higher speed will make the wheel perform more like a harder grade wheel.
    The slow speed grinder will do just fine, and IMO better than a high speed grinder.
    Have fun and take care

Yup...Leo may be on to something. Prolly just a facet of sharpening that doesn't affect you, Tyler. My beltsander goes even slower, and when I use it to sharpen on special occasions, I still get good results.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

8. I have the wolverine system and a Variable speed grinder from steel city, an exact clone of the Delta Vs, 8 inch, and it does a great job! I replaced the grinding wheels and went with the Norton 3x blue wheels and McMaster Carr drill bushings for the hub, and the thing is a real performer now.

The 8 inch slow speed is the way to go, for sure!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [QUOTE=Roger Chandler;1498188]I have the wolverine system and a Variable speed grinder from steel city, an exact clone of the Delta Vs, 8 inch, and it does a great job! I replaced the grinding wheels and went with the Norton 3x blue wheels and McMaster Carr drill bushings for the hub, and the thing is a real performer now.

Talk about a Tricked out Grinder
    Let's get with the grinding.
    Thanks guys
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/