Thread: Help with laser

Help with laser

Hi everyone. I looked a lot over Internet and it seems like every time I end up here Writing here for the first time since I need help.
    I work with Laser IV category that is used in process of personalization of ID cards. What I am interested in is do anyone of you know
    that happens when polycarbonate is burned by laser. Fumes? Carcinogenic particles? Any help would be more than welcomed.

Blog Entries
    The fumes should be filtered if you're putting them back into the breathable space. This is valid advice for all organic materials.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It is a really good practice to get hold of the MSDS for each new material that you work with. A simple google will find almost any that you need.

For "simple" plastics (acrylic etc.) a generic one will do as the product from different manufacturers is very similar if not identical.
    For more complex materials - e.g. rubber - you need the MSDS for the specific make that you are working with. "Neoprene" for example is the trade name for a particular formulation, but the name has been usurped to include many different types of soft and foamed rubber, some of which have a very different composition to the proper stuff.

Here is the appropriate extract for Bayer polycarbonate (you really don't want to breath this stuff) :

HAZARDOUS PRODUCTS OF COMBUSTION:Carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, bisphenol A, diphenyl carbonate, phenol and phenol derivatives.
    Traces of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, aldehydes and acids.

Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK