Thread: Workbench/Assembly table ideas.

Workbench/Assembly table ideas.

Looking to build a workbench/assembly table, but not certain how to do it(design wise.) I was hoping some of you could post some pictures of your current setup. I am looking to transform a corner of the garage into it. Its a 10x24ft garage. It will be about 4 feet or so high, so I can use it to support stock for my bandsaw.

Thanks.

Ps: I already did a search, but was unable to find any of the design that I am looking to do... Plus they were some older threads, so they might not be up to date on what everyone uses..

Here's mine. It's also my plywood storage. The top is a 3" thick torsion box made from 1x4s and 1/4" plywood, very stiff and light. Looks like I was making cabinet doors when I took the picture.

Four foot seems high for a work bench. I have a scissor cart I use for an assembly table. I can adjust its height to accommidate what ever I put on it. It also has a plastic top so glue and finish can more easily be cleaned off

New Yankee workshop had a nice assembly table on one show, check their site.

And The Wood Whisperer has a nice design and video of complete torsion box construction. thewoodwhisperer.com
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Dave that is absolutely beautiful! Wheels, storage, nice size---I'll take that any day over the tiny pieces of furniture which some call a workbench.

I have two that are very similar to that, but they have a thicker torsion box and only one storage shelf. They have a 3/4" top which has a 1/4" x 4' x 8' sheet of melamine on top which gets replaced about once a year.

-Steve

I built the one from New Yankee and have really gotten a lot of good use out of it. The only modification was the height. I matched it to the table saw to use it as an outfeed table too. It's a very solid usable table.
    Robbie

Check out the Noden Adjust-a-bench...while I preferred to build a traditional joiners bench customized to my height and work needs for my primary bench, I could see using this leg system for an assembly table/outfeed table/etc. It is really well designed and rock solid.

I met the designer/owner at the WWIA show last year and have seen the legs in action where I take classes...they have a traditional bench top mounted on the leg set as the instructors bench.

www.adjustabench.com

I like the idea of the one in a recent issue of ShopNotes... worth checking out..