Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone made their own "portable CO2" setup for nailers etc?

Anyone made their own "portable CO2" setup for nailers etc?

There are numerous times when it would be really handy to be able to drive a few finish nails or brads into something around the house. But doing so means hauling out the compressor and lugging it from the shop across the yard. Sure, it's not that far. But hey, that damn thing is heavy. So more often than now I end up using some other slower method to do what I'm trying to do.

Lowes has it's Kobalt portable co2 regulator that looks pretty slick. But at $90, it also seems overpriced for what it is. Couldn't I just get a regulator, a paintball adapter and some fittings and have the same thing?

Here's a decent look inside the Kobalt version:

http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...php?topic=73.0

There are numerous times when it would be really handy to be able to drive a few finish nails or brads into something around the house.
    I picked up a small ultra portable compressor (Evolv) from Sears for about 50 bucks on sale. It came with a fairly nice full 2" Brad nailer, a hose and a few fittiings.
    It only weighs a few pounds.

I considered a CO2 setup - but - all things considered, a small compressor made more sense.
    As long as I have electric nearby, I don't have to worry about running out of air in the middle of something.

Only real drawback is that it is kind of noisy.

I had a co2 set up. You could trim a whole room with it. The biggest drawback was you can't keep it in a truck or car when it's hot. There's a safety valve that empties the cylinder when it gets hot.
    It always seemed like the thing was empty when I needed it.

Azcraig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig McCormick View Post
    I had a co2 set up. You could trim a whole room with it. The biggest drawback was you can't keep it in a truck or car when it's hot. There's a safety valve that empties the cylinder when it gets hot.
    It always seemed like the thing was empty when I needed it.

Azcraig
    A valid issue, but not one that would apply to me regularly. Then again, I'm sure it would happen just when I needed it 'off-site'. But in general, this would just be aound the house type jobs for me.

If you only need to drive a few nails, have you considered picking up a portable air tank that you fill from your compressor? Every now and then Northern Tool has them on sale for less than $30.00. Simply remove the air chuck from the end, and replace it with an air coupler to plug into your nail gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    If you only need to drive a few nails, have you considered picking up a portable air tank that you fill from your compressor? Every now and then Northern Tool has them on sale for less than $30.00. Simply remove the air chuck from the end, and replace it with an air coupler to plug into your nail gun.
    You know, that's probably not a bad idea.

I just really do like the 'cool gadget' factor of a small co2 setup. But the tank is surely more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reet View Post
    You know, that's probably not a bad idea.

I just really do like the 'cool gadget' factor of a small co2 setup. But the tank is surely more cost effective.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to add an in-line regulator too? or do these tanks come with one?

For one man, small jobs (like pin or finish nailing molding trim around a room) I've often wondered if a little Automobile tire inflating compressor might not do the trick.
    like this
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...80&marketID=15

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gaul View Post
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to add an in-line regulator too? or do these tanks come with one?
    The air tanks I have seen do not come with a regulator. So yes, you would probably need to add one. However, I'm just speculating here. So if Scott or anyone has used a tank to run a nailer, perhaps they will chime in.

If you do need to add a regulator, then you've probably run the price up to more than what a DIY CO2 solution would probably cost. Though of course you wouldn't have to deal with filling CO2 tanks.

I have the Kobalt one and it has worked great for me, I also have a portable compressor. I like the Kobalt for off site trim install, its so small and easy to load and carry. If I go to a clients home to put up crown I either have to drag a long and dirty hose through the house or bring the noisy compressor inside which is annoying, when using the portable compressor.
    The only problem I have had with the Kobalt is there cheap hose blew up and messed up the regulator, so I took it back and they gave me a new one.
    Now I use a normal air hose and have put up a few hundred feet of crown trouble free, and Im still on my first air cylinder. Ive been told that it can be refilled for about $3 so thats no concern, but if you run short in the middle of a job it will be annoying to drop everything to go find a place to refill it.

I picked up a Campbell Housfeld portable compressor at Ace for around $75 with I think it was a $40 rebate & with Ace & with About $26 worth of $5 coupons added a regulator & fittings. Small enough to pick up with 1 or 2 fingers.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

The people I've talked to that bought a CO2 setup for occaisional use find them empty after they sit for awhile.

How about a Senco PC1010 - about $115 on sale, quiet, and enough power to run anything up to a finish nailer in any kind of normal use. Weighs about 20 lbs.

What about one of the Palmgren Hipshots or CH Tankless? Both are cheap and offer enough power for a few shots.

I'd go with a small compressor. I got this little 2 gallon compressor a few weeks ago for the same purpose:

I just trimmed out a bedroom with it. I'm going to leave it in my garage and use it for filling up inflatable kids toys and bike tires and the occasional car tire. I have a bigger 25 gallon Craftsman in the basement that is just a bit too big to be lugging around.

-Brian

+1 for the Kobalt system.

I have this system and so far it has worked great for me. Some of the places I install crown or chair rail in buildings on this military installation I just can't lug a compressor around, and places that have offices don't want the noise the generator produces. I have installed trim and crown in an office next to a room with the General having a meeting with no complaints. The bottles don't last quite as long as advertised, but they can shoot quite a few nails before filling. The local paintball shop charges $5.00 to refill a 20oz bottle.