Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tote Screw for Bailey Plane?

Tote Screw for Bailey Plane?

Hi All,
    I'm a newbie neander, and I recently picked up some planes from someone on Craig's List. They were pretty well set up and I'm having fun with them.

One of them, a Craftsman jointer, had a replacement screw to attach the front of the tote to the plane. The tote wiggles a bit, and I see now that the replacement screw is too small and isn't doing its job.

I found that the screw from another plane, a Bailey #5, works there. So, it seems Craftsman and Bailey were both using this screw.

I dropped by the hardware store to look for a replacement, but this is apparently a non-standard size. (Blood & Gore warned me of this!) The 10-24 screw was too small, and the 1/4" too big.

I've seen a couple of places online that sell the screw for very high prices.

Is there an easier way? Is there a good place to pick one up, or order one online?

Thanks!

Try Bob Kaune Antique Tools or Walt at Brass City Records. Both are online.

I believe that Stanley still sells screws and small parts and the cost is minimal.

Stanley does not stock those obsolete parts. You will have to get a used part. Bob Kaune is extremely high priced. Walt at Brass City Record and Tools would be a better choice.

Thanks everyone.

I've bought one plane from Walt already, and he's looking out for a #65 for me, so I'll see if he has an extra screw as well.

Anyone else have other suggestions? It sounds like it really is a speciatly part that's hard to come by.

Matthew, are you looking for the two part screw with the brass barrel nut? These screws are not really difficult to find at all, you can usually find some for sale on eBay.

7. A screw from the frog adjustment bracket of a Stanley will do as a replacement in a pinch.

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes.html
    Will take you to the Stanley parts page where it appears they have the screws.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Siemsen View Post
    http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes.html
    Will take you to the Stanley parts page where it appears they have the screws.
    Mike
    No personal experience on this, but I've heard that recent Stanley products come in modern threads & may not work. Can anyone confirm or deny?

On the link to stanley parts they had the choice of "new style" or "old style Bailey" but you do have to click on the right place to see it. I'd bet the Bailey part would have the right thread.

There is a section for UK planes and for USA made planes -- I believe the USA made are fine -- I used a screw in my type 15 -- no problem.

Blog Entries
    Just for general information, the screw is a #12-20. I have been able to find taps to repair stripped holes, but have not been able to find a die to thread new screws.

See the thread on fettling old planes for more information on that:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=114373

It is near the end:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...70#post1339970

I have had some success with the Little Giant adjustable two piece dies in the 1/4-20 size and adjusting it down.

The screws that hold on the frog are the same thread and are much more common. I have used them, just file the top to look like a round head screw and you will be back in business.

Depending on your handle, this may not take care of the wobble. I had a handle on a #7 once that was not rosewood that kind of creaked and moved. Replacing it with a rosewood handle fixed the problem.

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks again all for the helpful feedback.

I ordered a screw from stanley--it was only $1.00 with $1.50 shipping, so I figured it would be useful for me and everyone else to see if it fits.
    Last edited by Matthew Dunne; 08-30-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Are these the parts your looking for?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/b...ndknobkit.aspx

Hi. Long time lurker, first time Neanderthal poster. Thanks to all for all your great posts.

The stanleytoolparts.com page screws worked for me when I needed them recently for a #7 tote. (I'm far from an expert, my best guess is the jointer is a Type 16.) They come in various forms. I got an assortment package:

Bailey® Plane Screws/Nuts Kit
    Code : 12-702-1_08-E-01

Jim K.,

St. James Bay Tools offers a "12/20 Tap And Die Set $35.00". I have never ordered from them, but I came across it in some searches.

Thanks,

Mike