Thread: Another TS Question

Blog Entries

Another TS Question

Pardon the beginner question but I think I forgot so much sense being away from the TS for so long. If I'm ripping say 2.25" wide strips of 4/4 hardwood a couple of feet long, I would keep the right edge of the wood on the fence, correct? Do you try to always feed the wood that thin with a push stick or by hand? See what woodturning does to you after years of doing just that. Thanks, Sean

Sean, yes generally the "keep" side rides the fence. I would definitely use push sticks/blocks at this width.. or any width < the width of my hand span!

I almost always use a push stick, since I ran my thumb into the blade many years ago. Still have the thumb. I just looks a little funny.

I always square up an edge and run it against the fence. And like other have said, I always use a pusher. I have a Stots Saw Aid that gets used on every cut that's not using the 1000se or a sled. I've got a couple of notches on the Saw Aid to remind me what a good idea that is.

I always use a push stick or my Grippers. Using the Grippers require removal of the blade guard, but I install the riving knife.

Somewhere in one of the mags I read that the one guy uses what he calls the 3" rule. If you're hand is going to come within 3" of the blade, use a push stick a block or whatever the appropriate safety device is.

Blog Entries
    I will use my push stick for now and look at other safety measures. thanks, Sean

My short stock rule

I have a variety of push sticks and blocks that get chosen based on the heft and length of the stock. I use a push stick for every rip under 8" in width. Under 6" and I use both a push stick and a feather board mounted in the miter slot.

As alluded to already...the edge riding the fence needs to be dead square already. One more thought: on very thin stock make sure it cannot slip or wedge under the fence. In that case I use an auxiliary fence flat and square.

Blog Entries
    Dave, I am new to this woodworking arena as everyone knows by now but not familiar with the term "keep side" - Is it the pieces you want to use that you are cutting or the stock you will keep for other projects (left over) If you need to cutting several pieces of the same side, would you not have to keep rail on left > blade > then piece you are cuting from - desired piece comes our between guide rail and left of blade? Sorry to ask such a trivial question.