Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Oak Roots

More Oak Roots

I posted a pic of an oak root hollowform the other day. Then I tried a couple more but without quite the same results. The taller one was a little more bland piece of wood but it was also full of pea sized rocks that the tree had grown around. After destroying several hollowing cutters I called it good with fairly thick walls and an even thicker base. The little squatty one was destined to be a natural edged bowl. It has some nice burl and color in the wood and an interesting edge. As a group, they look pretty good together though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's cool! I like the trio of varying forms although each of them works as a standalone. Nicely done, sir.

Great job,Curt!

I hope you are turning with armor on.
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Curt, I love that collage with all three!! Really makes a neat pic. Great job on all of them, and you are a better man than I!! The first rock I hit would have been the last one!

Roots are quite a challenge and you met these head on. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    As a group, they look pretty good together
    No kidding, they look phenomenal!

Very nice Curt. As I think I posted earlier, those pieces would scare the bejeepers out of me. Thanks for showing me the possibilities.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Curt - you know I am a huge fan of your work but I gotta tell you..... I absolutely love the vase! Might be a little on the thick side but the form, color and all that rustic character make for a winning combination! You should be real happy with these turnings!

Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Leave the rocks!

Those are really great. Won't hold soup, though.

Sorta like shaving with a rotary lawnmower sometimes. You know you should duck, but then nothing would get done.

I'm anxiously awaiting my next rock. I have a bar of AISI 1095 high-carbon steel, 1/2" x 1" by 15", just waiting to be ground into the correct scraper shape to turn the rock in place.

Wondering if anyone else ever tried this?

10. I agree the pieces are great, but the three together takes it to another level.

Curt,
    There is nothing bland about that turning. Great tool control and great form on tough to turn wood is what I see. All are first class. Very nice work.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I call these types "SURVIVORS"

Curt, When I turn things that are rough and nasty and I end up with something that is still in the shape of a HF or bowl without me tossing them into the fire, they are SURVIVORS! Your collection is wonderful and like you said they look very good in a group and by themselves. The patience and dedication it takes to get these "Air" inspired turnings completed is what people see in them.

Keep sharing them with us,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

13. Very nice. This is interesting work that holds your attention viewing the interior/exterior surfaces that shape the form. I don't how you kept from exploding the piece when hitting a rock.

Blog Entries
    Great work Curt, I think of seeing an announcement of a new archialogical (spelling) find somewhere when I look at these. So Cool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Shazaam!!! Holy cow, Curt...what a beautiful set. And with rock excavation no less. You are certainly a better man than I. Well done.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson