Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple bowl stuck in a plank

Maple bowl stuck in a plank

This was a fun piece. It is made from spalted Maple, the size is roughly 10 X 9 X 2. I managed to keep the bark on, the cut ends have the texture left by the chain saw. It is finished with Waterlox.

I was showing this bowl to some friends the other day, and their 9 year old daughter says "It doesn't look like it is done!"

Enjoy,
    Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The cup of life's for him that drinks, and not for him that sips" - Robert Louis Stevenson

I think these type of bowls are neat, though I have never done one. You did a good job getting the placement correct on the upper/lower portions. The Waterlox made a nice finish for this piece.

Very nice - my one attempt at one of those didn't go nearly so well. That looks great, and the wood is beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Very nicely done Mike. I did one similar a while back my wife had the same reaction as your friends little girl. Good job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Tom

Turning comes easy to some folks .... wish I was one of them

and only 958 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf

Really well done Mike. I have did a few and you have to be careful of the buzz saw.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

6. Way cool.........I'll have to do one of those just to be able to say that I have done it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I really like these. Yours is especially nice because the bowl would have a very nice shape and stand on it's own just fine if it were "cut out" of the plank. You can kind of see the continuation of the bowl shape right through the edge of the plank. Lots of them don't have that kind of definition. I'm thinking that this is a somewhat difficult form to "pull off" but you have done it nicely.
    David DeCristoforo

Very nicely done Mike! Well balanced within the board and some really pretty wood. I like it.

I've only done one of those and I found myself chanting "No fingers beyond the toolrest....no fingers beyond the tool rest."

Nice project!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

very nice. would like to do one of these some day

Beautiful bowl, I know exactly what your talking about, all too often someone says to me, why is there is hole in your vase, or, that bowl can't even hold anything.

11. Interesting project with wood of great character, well done.

the intro to this made it sound horrible..after waitng 3 minutes for the pictures to download(yep dial-up) I was amazed at how wonderful the piece was..It's really quite stunning and was worth waiting to see

great job

Nice bowl, flows thru as has been mentioned, beautiful wood and finish. If waterlox looks that good on all wood, I need to get some! I made a little one of those a while back for the experience, and that's a little too exciting for me. Keep em coming!
    mj

stuck

gonna hafta get my Bill Grumbine video out to see how that is 'did'.
    Max

Nicely done. I like the proportions on this piece. I like it.