Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paralam HF - something you don't see every day.

That's an impressive looking piece. Very different and well done. Going to keep an eye out for some of that stuff. Thanks for posting it!
    Don L.

if anyone does come across some of this microlam or paralam (same stuff different names i've heard), it does look great turned, its completely stable, and when your tired of turning it, it makes great workbenches.

Really nice piece, i've been contemplating a platter, now i guess i have to do it.

Wow, I love it! Great form and super job executing it in a difficult medium. It looks as if it could crumble just by staring at it too long.
    Call me Jim, James seems so stuffy.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Very cool. I had some of that left over from some construction on the house a few years ago....always wondered how it would turn.

Now I'm going to always wonder where that scrap piece is.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

That is one nice looking piece. I glued up some plywood a year or so ago. I turned a HF out of it and it looks cool but like you said wear gloves.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Mike - that is really cool looking! I will agree with some of the others - first glance I thought it was cork! Neat grain pattern - will have to keep an eye out for some!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Mike, that is one of the nicest HFs ive seen in a long time......great job
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I saw a bowl turned from paralam in one of the woodworking magazines a couple of years ago. I got a hold of a few pieces and turned it. Same comments you had, wear gloves, face shield, sharpen once every minute and a half, and hang on! The lathe I had at the time did not have a reverse turning feature, so sanding and finishing was nearly impossible. Given a reverse sanding, it might have had a chance. As it was, the bowls I turned were blah and were never allowed out of the shop! Thanks for the post.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Thanks for the comments

Hello;
    Thank you all for the nice comments. To address some of the questions. What look like holes are where the wood chipped out and exposed the black epoxy. This thing is no where near fragile, I could probably stand on it.

The pieces that I have were found as scrap at construction sites. Along with being very tuff it can get heavy.

Cheers,
    Mike
    "The cup of life's for him that drinks, and not for him that sips" - Robert Louis Stevenson