Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred interior door brand?

I recently got into the custom home building business. It might just be the way that I'm interpreting the comments, but there seems to be some confusion on this thread. There is a big difference between Solid Core doors and Solid Wood doors.

I can get Masonite Brand solid core doors, prehung for about $90. The equivalent solid wood door would be about $250 (poplar rails and stiles, MDF panels).

A casual observer will think that they are the same, but upon closer inspection, the detail on the solid wood door is much better, and they function and feel better too when you use them. The solid core doors are generally a molded hardboard (masonite) material and the door is then filled with some type of corn husk material or something like that. The downside will always be the molded look, as they lack the crisp seams and joints of an assembled solid wood door.

As to the question of whether or not time = $..... Time that would've been wasted watching TV is not worth anything. If the time would've been spent making money or contributing to society, then it becomes a consideration.

Blog Entries
    I think I'll buy a manufactured door right now to get my laundry room remodel completed (pocket door).
    I would highly recommend insulating the laundry room (for noise) and getting a door with a decent sound rating. It is -very- nice to keep all the heat and noise -inside- the laundry room. We did that on our recent house and can't imagine going back to the hollow core door and uninsulated walls.

I replaced all the interior doors in my home with Jeld Wen solid-particle core pre-hung. 19 doors in total. Only issue I had was that two door had warped jams. I don't know if they came that way or warped from sitting for a month or so. I got them from the local lumber yard for $80 each and delivery was only $25 and two days after placing the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Nelson View Post
    Time that would've been wasted watching TV is not worth anything. If the time would've been spent making money or contributing to society, then it becomes a consideration.
    Well said.

Blog Entries
    Try Baird Brothers. Top quality doors and god prices. I put 5 in my house just last year. They delivered right to my door.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

This is a 3 year old thread that was bumped for some reason???

I'm guessing the OP must have found some doors by now

JeffD