Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid R4330 Planer - Experience?

Question Ridgid R4330 Planer - Experience?

My faithful Delta planer bit the dust a few days ago and I've been reviewing new benchtop planers. While the DW735 is an attractive option, I really don't want to spend that much. I've checked user reviews on several websites and it seems the R4330 gets better reviews overall than the DW. For those of you have have actual experience with the R4330, what is your opinion of the tool?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

PITA to remove bolts from cutter head (see a few threads down).

Other than that it is fair for being so cheap.

Thumbs up

I've had my R4330 since their introduction and am totally happy with it.
    Either my lack of experience, or just ignorance has been helpful. I don't have any snipe after playing around with the table adjustment, the finish is almost too smooth and needing very little sanding, the dust (chip) collection is great, and the repeat-a-cut feature has worked perfectly.
    I have no experience with any other planers and for now, I wouldn't want to try any others.
    In my opinion (which doesn't fit into the magazine reviews) there can't be a better "lunch-box" planer for the money.
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Ditto to everything Roger said.

The biggest challenge I had with the machine was finding someone at the BORG who was willing to get one off the overhead rack for me.

I have not had a problem changing knives.

I have the version before the current version and I can't say anything bad about mine other than I got some dull blades to begin with. Apparently the guys at my hd had been using it before I bought it. They went through both sides of both sets of blades. Of course if I could get a combo machine I would.

I've had it for about to years now.
    I can't imagine how changing of blades could be easier. OK, perhaps if someone else did it for you then that might be it.

I have few complaints about this planer but one thing that is so and so is the depth crank wheel. That thing may sometimes wiggle itself out of the setting, especially when not in 12 or 6 o'clock position. I have gotten around this by doing half turns most of the time. On a rare occasion I may go 1/4 turn or less and then I use a piece of masking tape to hold the wheel in place.

I've had a R4330 for several years. My biggest complaint has been that the local Home Depot stores around here do not carry the replacement knives for these things. You have to have the contractor's desk order them (which is no small feat) or you have to order them online and pay shipping.

Another tip is that there is an adaptor fitting inside the 4" DC fitting. This adaptor is designed to allow you to hook up a shopvac. If you remove this fitting you will get better dust collection when using with a real dust collector.

I've been really happy with it.

Andy

Another +1 to Roger's comments.

Love mine.

Can't say flat-out zero snipe, but ... have it down to very acceptable levels, after careful infeed/outfeed adjustment.

Quiet enough, powerful enough, accurate enough.

Bought the Wixey digital planer gauge. Haven't installed it, yet, but have heard that it makes a great tool just that much better.

Very happy with it !

Works okay for me. Finish is good. I've still got some snipe, but there might be some more adjustment I can make (right now I feed scrap before/after pieces that I need to have snipe-free).

Changing knives is fine. Do be aware that there is some sort of interlock with the dust shroud and the cutter. If the shroud is not fully seated, the planer will make a horrible and sick sound. I've done this exactly once. The planer still works fine, but I've been careful not to repeat it since.

I needed a 1.5hp dust collector to evacuate chips completely. My earlier DC still left some debris dancing around on the table, which causes problems on soft woods. Have heard the DW735 has a bit more oomf in its own chip ejection system.

I bought mine during one of the ridgid power tool sales at home depot. Something like a $50 discount. Think these sorts of deals come up ~2x/year.

If buying again, I'd be open to good deals on any of Delta/Makita/DeWalt/Steel City lunchbox planers.

Matt

Can you guys advise on how to remove the cutterhead? I am still unable to remove the bolts from mine and it is time to apply a torch, but I am afraid of doing it in such close proximity to so much plastic.

I've owned a Delta 22-560, a Delta 22-580, and now have an R4330. All 3 were good planers, and all leave a comparable surface with new blades. It seems to me that the R4330 bogs a little easier than the 22-580, but I like the dust collection better on the R4330. The R4330 has a 4-post design that's supposed to negate the need for a cutterhead lock, but I prefered an actual physical lock like the one on the 22-580.

I also had trouble getting the screws out to change blades on the R4330....I actually had the service center remove them the first time under warranty. They were still stuck the next time I went to remove them, but a hex bit on a cordless impact driver did the trick.

Overal, the R4330 is a good planer for the price....I'd rate it 4 out of 5 stars.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I just ran some oak through mine after replacing the blades, and am amazed at how much smoother it is with the new blades!

My planer has the same issue Darius ran into, with the depth wheel moving slightly. I found that this seems to correspond to the blades dulling, as it did not do it when new, and does not do it with the new blades installed, but did it before I installed the blades.

Zach - sorry to read about the issues with the bolts - I had one stuck bolt which broke the POS allen wrench supplied with the unit, but was able to get it undone with a soak of WD40. no idea how to remove the cutterhead, but I'd assume the manual is online somewhere - also I think there is a ridgid tools forum which might prove helpful.

One of the woodworking magazines, can't remember which one (it just came yesterday), had a <$400 planer review. I think they picked the Delta. I'll try to look it up when I get home.

Thanks for all of the input so far, guys. I'm beginning to re-think my direction. I've seen a reference to the cutterhead bolts in another forum as well as here. Availability of replacement blades is another problem. So, back to the drawing board.

I'm not seeking any commissions at this point mainly due to the fact that I'm still in recovery mode from heart surgery earlier this year. That, coupled with keeping up with my most important client (LOML), is enough for now. If I were trying to do major projects, I'd bite the bullet and get a floor-model planer.

Thanks again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.