Thread: JDS cylcone, anyone own or seen?

JDS cylcone, anyone own or seen?

I've come to the decision I need a better dc, after using my drum sander for about 6 months now my canister dc just isnt cutting it, the fine dust plugs up my cartridge filter and I'm sick of cleaning it.

I've looked hard at the grizzley g0440 cyclone and the onieda 2hp super dust gorilla.

Yesterday I ran across an ad for the jds collectors, I like the 2 hp unit and their cfm ratings are very high, 1700 max cfm is their claim, just curious if anyone has experience with their cycolones?
    Last edited by Jeff Monson; 09-01-2010 at 3:25 PM.

2HP unit

I have a 2HP unit in my basement shop. Fits well due to shorter height. Very happy with the unit. Don't wire plug until you get the unit so you get the correct matching outlet. I have had a couple years now with no problems and suction is good. I have it hooked up to 6" main line with 4" drops.

See this thread for picture.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=117480

Thanks.

Brian

Thanks - 2 v 3 HP

Jeff/Brian: Thanks for posting this. I plan to buy a cyclone later this year and had been thinking about a 3 HP unit. Based on your experiences and research, it seems as if a 2 HP unit might suffice. Thanks again.

Steve

Looks like I have the same JDS as Brian, and I've also been happy with it. My piping is 6" PVC pipe to most machines, with occasional drops to 4" if I have too. (If you use 6" Sewer & Drain pipe, I highly recommend the 6" injection molded gates from Clear-vue--cheap and excellent quality).

My only complaints are noise (which may be a complaint about cyclones/DC generally) and trying to stand the bloody thing up by myself (like trying to stand a 7' tall one ended 400 lb barbell on end). I also wished I'd used some locktite putting it together. I've noticed a couple of the nine gazillion nuts that hold the cyclone to the blower have vibrated themselves loose.

Blog Entries
    I dont own a JDS Cyclone but one thing I like about their design is the 2nd motor to brush the inside of the filter to help keep it clean. Seems like a good idea to me. Just an opinion.

PHM

Mine seems to have a crank and some kind of rotary flapper on the inside. I like the feature, but motorizing it seems... overkill.

Blog Entries
    Maybe so. But I would think the filter would stay clean. Also I like the clear bag that shows how much dust has come off the filter.

PHM

Do you have a decent separator for your current cartridge DC? You might be amazed at how well a Thien separator works. If you are otherwise happy with your dust collector, try building a Thien before you blow the big bucks on a full on cyclone. Unless of course you are just itching for a full on cyclone, then go for it...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I looked at the JDS units at IWF. Also talked with the owner for a while.

I think they are a hidden jewel. Execellent stats and the new design saves alot of installation headaches.

Just call and ask to speak to the owner. I am sure he will be happy to talk with you and hopefully give you some references.

About the noise. I think the are all loud !!!

Also I have not read a thread in 3 years where someone is unhappy with their cyclone. Penn State, Grizzly, Gorilla, JDS, etc ,etc...

Thinking about this, I think that what we do in our hobby WW shops just will not stress any of these units, so they all SUCK GREAT !!

So look at the ease of installment and how they unit fits your situation.

To give you an idea of my over engineering cyclone project take a look at these pictures http://mysaw.com/cyclone-page#install Click on each picture for the individual albums.
    Bartee Lamar

Thien baffle & sanders? Slight hijack, or not

The Thien baffle is a lotta bang for the buck. I haven't used mine for much sanding. It's very effective for larger heavier particles i.e. planer & jointer chips and saw dust. Does anyone have experience with a Thien baffle & heavy duty sander, either drum or belt? The particles are much smaller and lighter. I'm curious how effective the Thien baffle is with almost-light-enough-to-float in the air particles.

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    Do you have a decent separator for your current cartridge DC? You might be amazed at how well a Thien separator works. If you are otherwise happy with your dust collector, try building a Thien before you blow the big bucks on a full on cyclone. Unless of course you are just itching for a full on cyclone, then go for it...

It doesn't really work for fine dust. It gets some, but a lot goes through. If it's nice outside and I'm doing a lot with the thickness sander, I'll take off the filter, put the machine outside, and run the hose in through the door. It saves the filter.

C

Fine sanding dust from a drum or belt sander is a challenge to any cyclone, loading the filter very fast. And it is the worst kind of loading, as the dust is so fine it packs the pores of the media.

The best thing you can do in these cases is to blow the output outside (just skip the filter altogether).

If you only use a drum sander occasionally, you can also put a wye on the filter side so when you're using the drum sander, the output from the separator is directed outside. At all other times, through two blast gates and the output goes through the filter inside your shop.

Of course, take all precautions (make-up air, CO detector, etc.) when exhausting outside.

That's a interesting take on how to make a chip collector for a limited height. They use a short cone in the cyclone, which means less dust is extracted from the air stream than in a taller one. That means more dust gets to the filter. They fix that with the motorized beater.

I wonder what the lifetime of the filter is, considering that it gets beat every time the cyclone turns off? The filter material in most cartridges is just pleated paper.

not as efficient as a taller separator

As others have said, the squat cone on the Jet means that more material makes it to the filter, which means the filter will need cleaning more often.

Can anyone find the link where the fan curves of the various company's cyclones are put on the same graph? I thought I saw it yesterday on Oneida's site, but can't find it now. I'm debating the JDS vs the Oneida cyclones.